Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book Review: The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig

Pages read so far for 2010: 11,735

I've mentioned it before, although not on this blog: the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig is my guilty pleasure. For some girls it's supermarket romance novels or the Twilight "saga"; for me it's these mystery/romance novels set in England during the Regency period.

The Mischief of the Mistletoe veers a bit off course from Willig's other novels--partly because it takes place during the fifth book in the series, despite it being the seventh Pink Carnation novel published. Also, this book introduces a very much real life person into the mix--none other than Miss Jane Austen. It follows Arabella Dempsey, a friend of Miss Austen's, but does bring back "Turnip" Fitzhugh, formerly the cuckold of the series but now the [albeit unlikely] hero of Mistletoe.

This book could have easily been a disaster, and while I do think that the addition of Jane Austen as a "character" was a bit unnecessary, I have to say that Mistletoe is actually my favorite Pink Carnation addition since Deception of the Emerald Ring. The lack of the "real time" Eloise/Colin story did it more justice than I expected ;o) 4/5 stars.

"'To teach and to practice are two very different things. One may discuss what one might never do.'" Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment