Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Book Review: Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen

Pages read so far for 2010: 12,050

I don't really feel myself qualified to review Austen novels, so this is less a book review and more me extolling the virtues of what I perceive to be the best book Jane Austen wrote. (or at least, the best one she published)

Why is this my favorite Austen tale? Simply because I believe it to be the most realistic. Yes, there is a happy ending, but not the all-around perfect ending such as one finds in Pride & Prejudice and Mansfield Park. I won't go into details for those who haven't read it, but I will say that if you haven't, you should ;o). As always, Austen has made her characters maddeningly memorable and I think any woman in her right mind will be left wondering...am I an Elinor, or a Marianne? In short, this is one of the few novels I will rate 5 out of 5 stars and not waver in the decision to do so.

"'We have neither of us anything to tell; you, because you communicate, and I, because I conceal nothing.'"



"'No, he is not as unworthy as you believe him. He has broken no faith with me.'
'But he told you that he loved you?'
'Yes--no--never absolutely. It was every day implied, but never professedly declared. Sometimes I thought it had been, but it never was.'"

"'I warrant you, Miss Marianne would have been ready to wait till matters came round. But that won't do nowadays; nothing in the way of pleasure can ever be given up by the young men of this age.'"

"Elinor was to be the comforter of others in her own distresses no less than in theirs; and all the comfort that could be given by assurances of her own composure of mind...was readily offered."

"'But does it thence follow that had he married you he would have been happy? The inconveniences would have been different. He would then have suffered under the pecuniary distresses which, because they are removed, he now reckons as nothing. He would have had a wife of whose temper he could make no complaint, but he would have been always necessitous, always poor; and probably would soon have learned to rank the innumerable comforts of a clear estate and good income as of far more importance, even to domestic happiness, than the mere temper of a wife.'"

"...though a very few hours spent in the hard labour of incessant talking will dispatch more subjects than can really be in common between any two rational creatures, yet with lovers it is different. Between them no subject is finished, no communication is even made, till it has been made at least twenty times over."

*And with that, it also appears that I have broken my 12,000 page goal for 2010! It was touch and go there at the end though. Honestly, I read enough to not have to set such goals for myself, and as I recently acquired a Kindle as a birthday gift (and that will make pages difficult to count, I think)...next year there will be no goal. Just reviews.* Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment