Friday, December 3, 2010

Change Your Life Challenge: Vegetarian Week

Well, I was supposed to start the Vegetarian Week challenge on Monday...but we had so much food leftover from last weekend that I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm sorry, but if I had started it on time I would have wasted four days worth of dinner food, and that's just unacceptable. So I waited until we had eaten what needed to be eaten, and then I went grocery shopping.

Which by the way, was so much fun! Because I was shopping for some things that I just don't buy normally, and because without meat--despite buying the same amount of food for meals and whatnot as I normally buy--my grocery bill was at least $50-75 cheaper than it usually is! Yay saving money! ;o)

I was also inspired to buy a lot more healthy snacks. Bananas, strawberries, apple chips, red and green and yellow peppers (although the Peppercorn Ranch I bought to dip those in isn't really healthy) and a lot of crackers and cheese (stoned wheat crackers, to be exact, with some Drunken Goat cheese, tomato & veggie hummus, etc.)

And so the challenge commences!


To be completely honest, I'm not that worried about it. I've found myself a bit jaded with chicken lately, and there just aren't as many ways to cook beef as there are to cook chicken :-/ I actually found it pretty easy to plan a week's worth of vegetarian dinners. Because although you'll notice that this is a vegan OR vegetarian challenge...I'm not quite brave enough to go Vegan. So there will still be eggs, cheese, milk, half and half, and EGG NOG in my life ;o) Just no fish, chicken, pork, beef, or broths/stocks made with those things.

Today began with a bowl of Special K Chocolatey Delight and 2% milk; for lunch I'll be having Progresso Reduced Sodium Tomato Parmesan soup with Ritz crackers (yeah, so much for reducing that sodium. whatever.) 

And tomorrow you can rest assured that I will post the new recipe I'm trying tonight, what I think of it and how difficult it was! I will continue to do this through next Friday, probably, as my vegetarian week ends with Thursday December 9th. Here goes nothing!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment