Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reverb10, 12/7: Community

Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? 

Sadly enough, I would probably count 2010 (and for that matter, 2009) as the year(s) when I lost what used to be a great online community--that being Livejournal. However, although I can't say much for my experiences with online communities in 2010, I can speak very highly of a physical community that I discovered this year--that being the community of Greenville, South Carolina.

Although I lived in this area previously and technically moved back in 2009, it wasn't until this year that I truly put myself out there and discovered how amazing Greenville really is and how the residents' strong sense of community has gone a long way toward making it so amazing. I've been told that twenty years ago this was something like a dead (or at least dying) city, but with an influx of new blood and ideas came the revitalization of our beautiful downtown and people who would eat, drink, and shop in that area.

I guess that part of the reason I am so impressed with the Greenville community is that I'm from New England, where people aren't exactly friendly. Especially to strangers. And I've lived in other places ::cough::Lynchburg Virginia::cough::, where outsiders were ignored or frowned upon but very, very rarely accepted. The people in Greenville love their city, but to have that love work they also have to be more than just tolerant of each other.

In 2011, I would like to become more a part of this community than I already am. I'd like to make new friends--or rather, more new friends--and give back to this city that has given me so much :o)
(photo from www.thebestkeptsecretofthesouth.com)
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to get to know more of St. Louis too. I'm trying to get as involved as possible in all the local food movements, and volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this definitely countes--it can take quite awhile to put yourself out there and get comfortable and established within a new community. great post!

    ReplyDelete