Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb10, 12/8: Beautifully Different

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.

Hmm.


I find it difficult to respond to this prompt without sounding...stuck up, maybe?

I guess the things that make me different are the following:

1) My geekiness. I'm a geek and I'm proud of it! And I'm not just talking about the likes-to-read, good-in-school geekiness...I am a Star Wars geek, a Lord of the Rings geek, a Harry Potter geek. One of my top three 2010 experiences was attending the Star Wars Celebration V Conference in Orlando...and dressing up for it as well!

2) My honesty and loyalty to my friends (at least since...let's say late 2004). I, like most people, did some talking behind backs and all that lovely stuff that comes with being in high school, being a girl, being in a sorority...you know. But thankfully I learned my lesson, learned it quick, and since then I've been unfailingly honest and up front with those I love. After all, what's the point in spreading your opinions behind someone's back?

3) My open-mindedness. Back in high school a friend of mine (who was known to be gay) spent the first few months of our friendship insisting that he was straight. I didn't want to believe that he'd lie to me, so I simply tried not to think about it at all. Eventually the whole story came out, and with it the fact that he had been "scared to tell me". The only thing I can figure is that it had something to do with my being religious (nowadays I tend to think of myself as more "spiritual" than "religious" but back then...what I practiced was probably more like religion), but I have never wavered in the fact that could really care less either way if someone is gay or straight or ugly or attractive or a geek or a jock. As I've become more open about my thoughts and opinions I've made sure that my feelings on these things are known. My very best friends in the world would probably never have been thought of as "The Cool Kids", but they are wonderful people and regardless of the way they look or act I am proud to call them my loved ones. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment