Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vegetarian Day #4

My perfect banana.
Yesterday was my fourth day as a vegetarian. I think the fact that I'm counting them like this is proof that this will not last longer than the required week ;o) Especially since yesterday was the first day that I was truly missing meat. Yes, on Friday I will have a giant cheeseburger to reward myself!

Breakfast yesterday was another bowl of cereal (my norm, really, and I switch between Special K Chocolatey Delight, Corn Pops and the aforementioned childish cereal that won't be named, lately). For lunch, plain Chobani Greek yogurt with strawberries and original Heartland granola cereal, followed by a banana. A still-partially-green banana, because that's how I like 'em. Such a healthy lunch sandwiched between not-so-healthy other meals...

I made stuffed zucchini boats for dinner last night--another recipe that I've cooked a few times before. I think that technically the recipe is supposed to be made as an appetizer or side dish, but I think these are hearty enough for a meal, especially if you eat two or three of them.


CHEESY ZUCCHINI BOATS

4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ red onion, chopped
5 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
6 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Using a small spoon, scoop out the zucchini flesh, leaving a shell approximately 1/8 inch thick on all sides. Wrap the zucchini flesh in a paper towel and squeeze out any excess liquid; discard the liquid and set the flesh aside. Place the zucchini shells cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
-Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the zucchini flesh and onion and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more. Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the bread crumbs, and toast the bread crumbs for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and mix the breadcrumbs with the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
-Flip over the zucchini shells and line the bottoms with the mozzarella. Pack in the vegetable & bread crumb filling. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top. Bake 20-25 minutes.

It was only a couple of years ago that I discovered my love for zucchini, and I can't believe what I missed out on for so long!

Anyway, tomorrow I'll post about days five and six of my vegetarian week, as most of what I'm eating involves leftovers and I have only a recipe link to share with you...but have no fear, I do have an outfit! And one I'm not sure of, at that, so plan your jibes now ;o)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment