Saturday, January 8, 2011

Breakfast for dinner!

I don't know anyone who doesn't love a good "breakfast for dinner" night :) But there are also more things to do than just eggs and bacon, and last night we did breakfast for dinner and tried a new recipe.

Now, I'm not a big omelet person. I can do with some good scrambled eggs (so long as they're mixed with cheese and maybe a few other things) but in general I don't even want those very often. I'm just not a big egg person, and I really don't care for omelets. Still, Steve loves them and I found a recipe that looked pretty good, so last night we had

Zucchini & Feta Omelets

(The following makes ONE omelet)
1 tablespoon butter
One small zucchini or half of a medium zucchini, coarsely grated
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, such as Athenos brand
3 eggs, beaten
Salt & Pepper, for seasoning
Dried thyme, for seasoning


-Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini and cook for two minutes or so to dry up some of the moisture. While cooking, break up the zucchini with a spatula and spread it evenly around the pan.
-Pour the beaten eggs into the pan slowly and season as desired with salt and pepper. When the edges have begun to cook, scatter the feta crumbles evenly over the omelet.
-Cook the omelet until the middle has begun to set. Remove from the heat and let sit about three minutes--this will help it set more without burning the bottom. Sprinkle some dried thyme over the omelet, fold as desired and use a spatula to slip onto a plate to eat immediately :o)

Again, I'm not a big omelet person, but this is one omelet I would eat again.

And speaking of breakfast for dinner, in the future I will absolutely have to do a post about Steve's amazing Eggs in a Window. He refuses to reveal all of his secrets to me, but I'll post what I can figure out by watching him, the next time he makes them ;o)
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Zucchini is such a versatile veg, I love it. I need to eat more of it!

    ReplyDelete