Thursday, January 6, 2011

Death Threat...by Yoga Mat?

I was walking my dogs this morning and a woman backed out of her driveway and almost hit me.

Honestly, I can understand her not seeing the dogs. They were out of her line of sight--she was driving a smallish SUV. But to not see me? She admitted that she didn't even look before she started backing out, but she was literally FLYING out of her driveway. By the time I realized what was happening and jumped out of the way, she missed me by maybe 6 or 8 inches? It took me a good ten minutes of deep breathing and telling myself to calm down to actually do so. At least she stopped and rolled down her window and apologized. Phew.

Then I get back to my house and unroll my new yoga mat for the first time! I did my yoga on Tuesday but had forgotten the new mat, so I made sure to get rid of my old one Tuesday night and leave the new one in its place :o) Anyway, as I unroll it a few little pieces of paper fall out. The first one is bright yellow and proclaims "CAUTION! THE ENCLOSED MAT MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET! Dry the mat with a towel if it gets wet. To avoid condensation, roll up and store the mat at room temperature after each use." (bolding and caps are as this warning is written, not my own)

I got a little giggle out of all that. I mean...I've definitely had some hardcore yoga sessions that left me sweaty, but never enough to render my mat slippery enough to be deemed wet and dangerous. And do yoga mats spontaneously produce moisture? I don't get the "condensation" part at all.

Of course, I couldn't resist reading the other two pieces of paper. One was a plea to not return your item if it was missing parts. Obviously this is just included with everything this company produces, because all I bought was a yoga mat and yes, it was all there.

The third piece of paper, however, was a bit more worrisome. Not the usual caution about consulting your physician before you start a new exercise program, but the "! WARNING" stating: "This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

Ummm...what??? Is this a mistake? What in the world did they make this yoga mat with that they really need to include such a warning? Should I not use it? I mean, I'm not pregnant, but I'm pretty sure that using a mat that can cause cancer and possibly birth defects in my future babies may outweigh the benefits of practicing yoga in the first place, no? The mat looked completely normal and appears to be made of the same material as my previous one, so at the moment I'm hoping I'm safe...but if anyone wants to gift me a yoga mat that doesn't include the threat of cancer and reproductive harm to my not-yet-conceived children, please let me know. Pin It

11 comments:

  1. When I was in Wilmington for Christmas, my Dad and Nick went to the store to get some bait and a flounder rig. The flounder rig had that same warning about the state of California finding it could cause cancer or birth defects. They both decided that I wasn't allowed to touch the thing, just in case.

    I highly doubt you have to worry about your mat, though. It's probably just a tiny part of the chemical make up of that type of foam that in high doses could cause these things. But I'm sure if any of that chemical is in the mat, they have to warn you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats crazy, it didn't say what chemical? kind of scary but im sure it's fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?1 That is so scary. I use some oils from Young Life and one of them says it is known to cause cancer in the state of California. Maybe people in California overuse products with certain chemicals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, this made me laugh, as N discovered this same warning on an angle finder he bought (Nerd Alert!)two days ago. It also contained the rather severe instruction, "Wash your hands after using." -In bold even, which must indicate they mean business. ;)
    I think as long as you're not chewing on your mat, and spending the majority of your day skin to skin with it, you'll probably be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok.. I live in California and literally EVERYTHING comes with that stupid warning. Everything. It can be as simple as a plastic container that contains BPA. California apparently has very strict labeling laws and I'm sure if something really was harmful to you, other states would be requiring the same type of warning or consumer advocate groups would be raising hell and forcing companies to change their products. For now I'd say as long as you don't eat your mat, you're fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this blog...going to check out your others now :) New follower and can't wait to read more!! Found you from your comment on my guest post at 22year old housewife!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. What a creepy yoga mat?!?! I'd stay away...far, far AWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, okay, another person who lives in California already beat me to the punch. Folks, they put that warning shit on BUILDINGS out here. The mat is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite worrisome! I feel like they shouldn't include those sorts of things... now it makes me wish I had actually read the papers that came with my mat. But after reading the comments of others, perhaps it's not as serious as it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took mine back after reading this fine print label once I got home. My childbearing is complete, but I decided I didn't want to be downward dogging and laying my face on a mat full of banned "P" chemicals. It's easy enough to find a mat not made with those banned substances, which I would recommend. Problem is, my new mat is a little more slippery! I guess those banned chemicals served good purpose. Oh well! I know I'm late to the party but for anyone else who finds this on a search, it's current. I had the condensation problem today btw, which is the search that linked me to you. It was pretty gross - maybe because it was in my cold car overnight, I'll never know. Never had any mat do this before, so it went back as well! Now searching for mat #4 cuz I be crazy like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look up California's proposition 65 or something like that. I just now for a new yoga mat with that same warning and did some research; should ease your mind a bit.

    ReplyDelete