Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Me likey pizza.

I love me some pizza, so I'm always willing to make my own. I have a few different pizza recipes that are tried and true (and will probably eventually be posted here), but I made a new one tonight so here ya go!

TOC Pizza

(In which the TOC stands for tomatoes, olives, capers!)
1 package Pillsbury or other refrigerated (uncooked!) pizza crust
Olive oil and flour
2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
2 medium or large tomatoes, sliced
Loose handful black olives, pitted and quartered
Approximately 6 oz shredded mozzarella or shredded mixed Italian cheese


aaaannnnddd....3 generous tablespoons tomato sauce (I just used canned)!

-Preheat the oven to the temperature called for on the crust packaging. Lightly oil and flour a medium sized baking sheet and press the pizza dough to fit.
-Spread the tomato sauce on the pizza dough and sprinkle about 1/3 of the shredded cheese over the sauce. 
-Lay the tomato slices over the cheese and scatter the olives and capers over them, then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
-Cook according to the pizza crust package directions! (I used the Pillsbury *original* pizza crust and cooked it at 425 for about 18 minutes and it was perfect)

I was honestly a bit concerned about the flavor considering it doesn't call for any spices, but the capers and olives gave it the flavor it needed so yeah...yum!

Anyone else out there pizza obsessed? It's almost bad, with me. I'm seriously picky and the only halfway decent pizza place in my town is Mellow Mushroom, which has some very inventive specialty pizzas and uses all organic (or is it all natural? I can't remember, but they brag about something or other along those lines) ingredients...but it still isn't the best pizza I've ever had! Hence the fact that I end up making it at home on a pretty regular basis.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. It's the tomato sauce and doughy crusts that makes me dislike pizza so much. I <3 flatbread white pizzas though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well these ingredients would probably be great on a flatbread! And there is seriously not that much tomato sauce at all...like, the thinnest layer possible ;)

    I don't mind doughy crusts to an extent...they have to be fully cooked through (obviously) and be quality crusts. I literally can't bring myself to eat from places like Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc.

    ReplyDelete