Friday, January 28, 2011

Thing #15: A Person

Day 15: A person you admire.
 
 My mother.
This is sadly not a very good picture of either of us. Boo.
I not only admire my mother, but she is my hero. She was a stay-at-home mom who raised three daughters while my father left for work at 6:30 or 7 AM and didn't come home until 6 at night. He also had to travel frequently for his job. And she also got on her hands and knees and cleaned other people's houses and doctor's offices when things were tight...all to make sure that we had proper food on the table and a roof over our heads.

(Now, I'm not saying that my dad didn't work hard to provide for us. He did, as is obvious by the hours he worked. But I'm a momma's girl, what can I say, and all my dad did was work--she did, literally, everything else.)

Anyway, my mother cooked hearty meals for us pretty much every night. We couldn't afford to eat out for basically my entire childhood, but there was always roast with veggies, chicken pot pie, shepherd's pie, etc. on our table. Always a meat with at least two sides. Now that I cook--albeit only for two people--I know how much work went into these meals. And they were always delicious, because my mom is an amazing cook.

Beyond the cooking, our house was always immaculate. We had dogs and cats growing up, and there were five of us, but the floors and counters were never dirty. The furniture was never dusty. Again, I've been keeping my own house for years and no matter how hard I try it is never as clean as my mom's house is or was.
 
As we got older, my mom went back to work and built her own business from the ground up. Of course she had the help of others, including (eventually) my father, but I know for a fact that their business never would have succeeded without her. She's extremely intelligent (in fact she was top of her class in high school) and a whiz with accounting. So after all she did for us as a mother, she ended up being a huge monetary provider as well, starting about the time I became a teenager.

I don't know how my mother did all that she did or does all that she does, but on top of everything she was also there to rub our backs when we didn't feel well, to hold us when we cried over lost love, to advise us when she felt that a friend was a bad influence. My mother is beautiful and kind and wise and no matter how much I aspire to be like her, I never will be. She's not perfect, but she is far beyond anything I could ever hope to be. But still I will strive, because of how much I admire her.
 
Day 16: A song that makes you cry.
Day 17: An art piece.
Day 18: A time when you felt passionate and alive.
Day 19: A talent of yours.
Day 20: A hobby of yours.
Day 21: Something you know you do differently than most people.
Day 22: A website.
Day 23: A way in which you want to be remembered.
Day 24: A movie no one would expect you to love.
Day 25: A recipe.
Day 26: A childhood memory.
Day 27: A physical feature you love.
Day 28: A scar you have and it's story.
Day 29: Hopes, dreams and plans you have for the next 365 days.
Day 30: A motto or philosophy.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment