Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wellness Wednesday: Is it possible to lose weight and keep it off?

My friend Marj over at One Mess at a Time has recently started posting "Wellness Wednesdays", and right around the same time Jacin of Lovely Little Details invited the personal trainer that she used for her wedding as a guest blogger. I knew that following Marj on her Wellness Wednesday quest would be fun, and seeing Jacin's before and after helped me realize what I wanted to use as my jumping off point. Because I definitely have a before and after. To wit:
I'm on the left. I wish I had another picture, a full-length front view would be best, but I was [understandably] a bit camera shy at this time. This particular photo is from late January 2007.
(Oh, and as a side note, I'm 5'8" and fairly big-boned. At my absolute smallest--back in high school, when I apparently had a higher metabolism, didn't drink coffee or alcohol, etc. my average weight was probably 140 pounds.)

I weighed about 185 pounds in that picture, the heaviest I've ever been. It was the product of a severe depression caused by the fact that I gave up my dream career to save my relationship, moved to a city I hated and was jobless and miserable for about five months. I don't really eat fast food or anything, but my diet still wasn't the greatest, I didn't exercise at all other than short walks with my dog, and I drank. Heavily. A lot.

On the other hand, here is me about one year later, and hey...I'm wearing the same shirt!
At this point I weighed about what I do now, which is a fluctuation between 160 and 165 pounds. I actually got down to about 150 by the year and a half mark (July 2008):

While I wish I could have kept all of that weight off, it just wasn't feasible. The loss of those last 10-15 pounds between the winter and summer of 2008 was due to the fact that I got so stressed with my desk job that I quit and went to work doing about 35 hours of manual labor each week...on top of my regular workouts. My new job also had weird hours, which led to me eating small, fairly healthy snacks (yogurt, pretzels, small bowls of cold cereal) throughout the day. Needless to say, once I went back to a desk job and wasn't burning as many calories--and was also not doing such a good job on my eating habits--that weight came back.
Me just about a month ago. Like I said, I guess I sit in the 160-165 range nowadays. (A bit lighter in the summer and a bit heavier in the winter, mainly) Love the strapless bra poking out of this dress...as you can see from the super skinny photo of me, more often than not my bra is poking out ::rolls eyes:: Oh and that's my best friend Jonathan mocking my pose. Love him.

Still, I think I did a pretty darn good job losing twenty-ish pounds...and at least keeping that off. So in future weeks I'll use Wellness Wednesdays to describe the "slowly but surely, eat & drink [almost] anything you want" weight loss plan that worked for me. And although it took me a year to lose the full twenty-ish pounds, there were a few things that I should have started doing sooner that probably would have helped me drop those pounds within about 6-8 months instead.

I'm no personal trainer. I'm not even sure I qualify as a health nut. What I am is a normal woman with an average-sized body who wants to be healthy and fit without having to completely forsake the pleasures of food and drink :) So hopefully there are others like me out there who will be interested in what I have to say!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hi, yes, please. Come live in the crappy Greenville and help me. HEEEAAAALP. You can TELL me what to do all you want. I don't listen. I need someone to drag me by my arm. You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely normal to fluctuate with the seasons. I can go up or down 10 pounds between winter and summer! Being tan helps too :) hehe jk, but you're right in that you don't need diets to get to a sensible weight. It will naturally happen with a normal amount of exercise, eating natural foods, and watching the sweets/alcohol/eating out.

    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a change! Thanks for the comment on my blog, the inspiration and for sharing this link with the pictures. :) I'll be back there some day- in skinnyville- joining you!

    ReplyDelete