Thursday, March 17, 2011

10 Years of St. Patty's Days

This post popped into my head this morning when I was walking my dogs. Probably because 10 years ago was the first year St. Patty's Day really meant anything to me...though I didn't really get to celebrate it.

Why? Because I was on a plane. Flying to Ireland.

Yup, that's right, I flew to Ireland ON St. Patrick's Day in 2001. So I didn't get there until the 18th of March. Sad, I know, but I didn't have much choice due to the schedule of my college spring break. You know what though? I still celebrated. On the 18th, the 19th, the 20th, the 21st...you get the picture ;o)
Tara's first Guinness. In Dublin. 3/18/2001
2002 was another year where I didn't really have a choice but to put off my St. Patty's day celebrations a bit. It also didn't help that I was only 19. But I did end up in Norman/Oklahoma City with these fine boys, and made sure to make up for having a slow St. Patrick's Day earlier that week!
Keystone Light, the official beer of slow-pitch softball. March 2002.
I have no picture for any sort of official St. Patrick's Day celebrations in 2003! Sad, bad Tara. But for good reason. I still wasn't 21 (boo) and I was also knee deep in 18 credits worth of college courses, organizing the V-Day Campaign (to end violence against women and girls) at my school, pledging a sorority, being a campus rep for the Walt Disney World College Program, and starring as Magenta & the Usherette in Rocky Horror. Phew! So I'll leave you with this, to show that I will take any excuse to dress like an idiot. Even if it's not officially St. Patrick's Day yet.
Sorority pride. March 2003.
2004. Finally 21. And this semester I had a little. She knew how much I loved green...stuff.
With m y new AST little Jessica, March 2004
But then I was out of school, and one would think that this is where I calmed down a bit. No can do, not for this girl! If anything this is when things got really good ;o) I may have been living in Lynchburg in March 2005 (blurgh) but we went out for green beer and Irish food with--as I recall--Stacy of Every Little Thing!
Yay green beer! 3/17/2005
I'm wearing a Claddagh necklace in that picture. Said necklace has since disappeared. And as I bought it in Ireland on my trip there in 2001, I'm still pissed about that :o(

In 2006 I really embraced my Irish side (yes, I am Irish, even if it is only a very small fraction...I have about the same amount of Irish and Native American blood in me). I had the green shirt, a silly hat...and brown hair.
Out at Bennigans in LBV (Orlando) 3/17/2006
The brown hair didn't last long (what can I say, blondes have more fun and that's my natural hair color anyway)...but I found other ways to continue the fun St. Patrick's Day theme. Always a green shirt, of course, and the hat you see above makes more than one appearance ;o) For instance, 2007:
St. Patty's day in Myrtle Beach! 2007
Oh hey, wait, my hair's still kind of brown! In fact, it was red just a few weeks before this picture was taken. Probably should have stayed red for the holiday? But I was raring to be a blonde again. St. Patty's Day in Myrtle Beach was crazy; in fact probably my craziest St. Patty's Day compared to previous years. But we've still got a few years to go and my outfit in 2008 takes the cake!
I earned those bills for singing karaoke, I swear. 3/15/2008
I double celebrated St. Patty's in 2008, folks. I went to a weekend party at a bar on the 15th (as pictured above) and then donned that same outfit and went out to a club with my sisters on the actual holiday. Ahh, quarter century crisis Tara, how I miss thee.

Unfortunately (sort of), in 2009 things were a bit more subdued. We had a pre-St. Patrick's Day party with our favorite people...but hey, I wore the outfit again!
3/14/2009 house party with my besties
And when the actual holiday came around in 2009...we just hung out at home, drank a beer or two and ate beer & beef stew. Being an adult blows sometimes, no?

Of course, last year we were back in Greenville and I remembered how fun it had been to go out on St. Patty's day down here. So out we went. And this was the third (and sadly, probably the last) year that I put on my full St. Patty's day gear. I'm approaching 30, you know? I actually felt...sigh...a bit weird last year going out dressed like that. Oh to be young again.
3/17/2010
Now, I know that technically, that right there is 10 years of St. Patty's days, but I've got one more picture for you! We went on a "Who's Your Paddy" pub crawl over the weekend. Honestly...it kind of sucked. But I think I looked cute, at least, and I'll be wearing this same ensemble when we grab some food and drinks at a local bar called Fitzpatrick's tonight. We won't stay out late - I feel like ass if I have to get up and go to work after drinking more than three beers the previous night - but I still feel like I've gotta do something! Can't break tradition, and all.
Silver clover necklace: Tiffany's
Black mock turtleneck: Express
Tartan mini skirt: Hot Topic (and the matching shirt in the pictures above is the other part of the outfit, obviously also from Hot Topic)
Lace leggings: from Baker's Shoes
Knee-high riding boots: from DSW, and yes, they're flats and I <3 them!

And there ya go! Ten  I guess technically eleven years of St. Patrick's Days! (we'll call it "ten and a bonus, maybe?) So have a great one today - especially if you're going to be out celebrating! In fact...what are you doing for St. Patrick's Day?
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I totally don't remember that! Where did we go? Glad I got to do SOMETHING fun while in Lynchburg! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I had to go back in LJ and make sure I was remembering it right! Some place on Ward's Road? O'Charley's or Charley's I think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that green kilt/skirt - way to get plenty of uses out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you have quite a history with St. Patty's day! Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish that I could go to Ireland so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your comment, but I wouldn't write a blog post about someone who just copied a pair of jeans of mine ya know. It's more bigger than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so jealous you've been to Ireland. That is one of my top places to visit before I kick the bucket! We also want to travel to Germany, Italy and well...we'll go anywhere!

    ReplyDelete