Thursday, March 3, 2011

Giving up Facebook

I deactivated my Facebook account last night.

Now, it's not a permanent thing. Come on, we all know how difficult it is to keep up with people nowadays if you don't use Facebook!

But for the past couple of years, Facebook has been a daily thing for me. Especially once I had my iPhone and had no excuse to not check it even while on vacation. Of course, I didn't touch it for a week when we were on our cruise in November (no iPhone service and I didn't feel like paying the ridiculously high internet fees on the ship)...and I was surprised at how little I missed it. But lately it's been getting worse. Prior to the past month or so, I rarely spent more than 10-15 minutes a day on Facebook (and even that is stretching it). I almost never signed on in the evenings when I got home from work.

Unfortunately, at some point recently, Facebook just...took over my life. Took over my friendships. And I needed--need--a break. It won't be easy...already I'm sitting here, itching to know what's going on in my friend's lives. But honestly? The people I really give a crap about, I can call or text or email. My goal is to go a minimum of two weeks, but I really want to hold off until the end of March. And even better, I'd like to go a true, entire month, which would mean not signing on until at least April 3rd.

So my account is deactivated, and yes, I even deleted the Facebook app from my phone. And no, this isn't some blogging gimmick. And no, I'm not going to be completely anti-social media. I'll still sporadically use Twitter as I always have, and I'll still be blogging :o)

I just need to know that my friendships can survive without Facebook interaction, if only for a month. I need to know that I don't need Facebook, need to know that even if it's available for sign in at any moment, I can say "NO, today I will call this person to tell them a funny story or just to catch up."

Facebook has really been everything from a great tool for me, to the bane of my existence. I've used it to get back in touch with old friends, to heal old wounds, to share my life with those I care about. But I've also had it used against me; when I went through my divorce I had to delete and block all mutual friends of myself and Ex just so I could live my life without listening to him bitch left and right about how I was actually OKAY with the fact that our marriage was ending. And I've actually had people who barely knew me decide that they didn't like me because of the "tone" I used in my Facebook posts or the information I had about myself on my page or the silly pictures that I posted (or whatever their lame excuse was). Shoot, last year my step-cousin blasted me on her Facebook page--without cause or reason--because...I don't know, she was chock full of pregnancy hormones or something and didn't like that I was getting married?

I'm sure that almost everyone who uses Facebook on a regular basis has the same types of stories about it--both the positive and negative ones. And the thing is, we've come to rely on it too much. We've come to care about it too much. It's not real life, you know. It's just Facebook.

So welcome to my journey, I guess, and hopefully I won't disappoint myself and will last as long as I'd like to without Facebook! Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club! When I got rid of mine I was a little anxious but it's been about 2 months and I think I made the right choice. I got tired of the drama, everyone sending me messages rather then calling, I was just tired of it all. I might check it out again in a few months to see how some Disney folks are doing but for the most part, I'm over it.

    When you get the itch just check out reddit, those hours spent on Facebook will be replaced with humor, politics and pure nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have been using Twitter a lot more than Facebook, which is interesting. I glance at FB during the day but don't spend nearly the amount of time on it as I used to. Twitter however...

    We had an interesting segment at my Autism conference today about technology. The speaker described how FB is so addictive and life-changing because it plays on your emotions, whether the developers planned for that or not. It plays on loneliness, the urge to be popular, voyeurism, wanting to make sure we're "normal," and a whole slew of other socioemotional factors.

    Good luck! It is amazing how little we miss technology when we're away from it for even a little while. I love that feeling!

    ReplyDelete