Friday, March 11, 2011

One heck of a great meal :)

So I want to give props to one of the blogs I read for this, but I can't remember who I got the idea from! Basically...someone mentioned that they had a dinner of chicken, roasted broccoli and sundried tomatoes. There was no specific recipe, though, so I improvised. Therefore, the idea for this meal came from a fellow blogger, but the actual full-on recipe is mine-all-mine :)

ETA: That fellow blogger has stepped up and I remembered as soon as she did! It was my girl Philly Girl Runs so thanks to her for this meal idea!

(And it was a hit, by the way! Steve will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him, but once in a while I find a recipe that he rants and raves about, and this is one of them. Note, though, that he is nothing like any other man I've ever met and you may not get the same reaction from the men in your life.)

The following recipe feeds 2 with no leftovers. I roasted my chicken and broccoli at the same time so keep that in mind during your preparations.

For the Broccoli

 1 large head broccoli (DO NOT use frozen. DO. NOT.)
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper (fresh ground if possible)
4+ cloves garlic, chopped (but don't make the pieces too small)
Lemon juice
Grated parmesan cheese

-As a note, you do not have to wash your broccoli. Trust me, the heat will kill anything that's in there. But if you insist on washing it, make *absolutely certain* that you dry it. Completely. Otherwise it won't roast properly.
-Preheat your oven to 425 and chop your broccoli into decent-sized florets. Spread on a baking tray and sprinkle the chopped garlic in/among the broccoli florets.
-Drizzle the olive oil generously over the broccoli and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and roast about 25 minutes. When it's finished roasting, pull the tray from the oven and drizzle a little more olive oil over the broccoli. Then sprinkle as much lemon juice and Parmesan cheese as you desire. Note: I actually used a tablespoon, maybe less, of both the lemon juice and Parmesan, and the broccoli was perfect.
 For the Chicken

2 very large chicken breasts, sliced down the middle into two large strips
1 jar sundried tomatoes (mine was a medium to large sized jar)
Montreal chicken seasoning

-Place the chicken "strips" on a small baking sheet and pour the jar of sundried tomatoes WITH THEIR OIL over the chicken. Make sure to pick the strips up/rub them with the oil to ensure that they are covered in it. Season as you like with the montreal chicken seasoning and roast with the broccoli. (Same temperature and amount of time and everything). 
-However, you may want to keep an eye on the sundried tomatoes and remove them from the baking sheet with a slotted spoon at about 15 minutes, depending on your oven. My oven is weird/cheap and some of the sundried tomatoes did burn a bit, though were still for the most part edible.

To be completely honest, I've never been a big fan of broccoli. I'll eat it in casseroles when it's smothered in cheese and spices and whatnot, but plain? Eh. However, this particular recipe has made me more of a broccoli lover...and come on, that stuff's good for you! ;o)
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. ha, I think this was me! One of my regular lazy-person meals lately has been roasted broccoli and chicken with hummus - usually sundried tomato hummus :) I don't post a recipe because my "recipe" is "dump pre-cut broccoli from giant Costco bag, drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper, and stick in oven" :) I'm with you though - I think broccoli is only "meh" but when it's roasted, it's SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh thank you for saying something! as soon as you posted I remembered :) I had a feeling it was Stacy, maybe, but I think that could have just been because you're both SG girls...

    anyway, I've edited the entry to give you the cred and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great, easy meal! I do like broccoli and it's definitely a super food so I need to eat more of it. I also don't really like tomatoes in any form but I might try this anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Stacy - the good thing about this is that you can easily not eat the tomatoes :) Personally I don't really think the oil that the sun dried tomatoes are packed in really TASTES like tomatoes. But also you could just use olive oil on the chicken and nix the sun dried tomatoes entirely if need be :)

    ReplyDelete