Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

I missed wellness Wednesday last week because...well, I have no good excuse other than that I wasn't feeling it. Or maybe I forgot. Whatever.

Let's see--I guess this week I'll talk about my history with running. Because I started running...or maybe it's technically jogging...back at the beginning of 2007. At that time, I doubt I even "ran" an entire mile. I think I started with about three quarters of a mile and within a month or two worked my way up to a full mile. This was back when I lived in Lynchburg, Virginia and I did enjoy running across the dam at Timberlake with my dog Meeka :o) But considering that I didn't do much true working out other than running for a good 9 or 10 months after I realized I needed to lose weight, even running that one mile every other day must have done some good.

And as a side note, I hated jogging/running in high school and college. I never finished the mile on time during those fitness tests in high school and even though a friend of mine tried to get me into running in later years, it just never stuck.

Once I hit the "hey, I'm able to run a mile!" mark, it took quite some time--a good year--for me to break down and extend my run to about 1.15 miles. And I stagnated there for about 10-11 months, because I lived in a really small neighborhood just off a busy road and couldn't bring myself to run the same loop more than once.

It was when I moved to Enfield, Connecticut at the end of 2008 that I really left my running comfort zone--because I lived in a much bigger neighborhood, one that allowed me to run 1.5-1.75 miles but also required me doing so in severely cold temperatures. Still, you know it's love when you wake up to -2 degrees and still want to go out running, right?

Nowadays I run about 2 miles every other day. I could do more--physically--but I don't get myself out of bed early enough ;o) But I can't imagine not running at least three times a week. I literally love it now. Which is why I feel sad when people say that they hate running, that they can't run, etc. Because barring some serious physical issue, most people can run. A lot of times they just expect too much out of themselves. Hence the title of this entry: "Slow and Steady Wins the Race". It took me from early 2007 until late 2009 to work up to running a full 2 miles at a time. And there's nothing wrong with that. I run for my health--both physical and mental. I run to exercise my dogs. I believe that you don't have to push yourself to the limits to be a "runner". So if you think that you "can't" run, maybe it's because you're forcing yourself to run by other people's standards and you should instead find what works for you.

Plus, it makes for some good lookin' legs ;o)
I'm on the right and can only wish that I was ever as skinny as my younger sister (that's who the other girl is). However, note sexy runner's legs! ;o)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment