Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wellness Wednesday: Fast Food Nation? Not this girl.

source
Let me get one thing straight: my momma raised me well, and growing up any sort of fast food was a special treat for me rather than a weekly occurrence.

Unfortunately, when 2001 rolled around and I was living on my own for the first time and working at Disney, I gave myself a million excuses as to why I ate fast food anywhere from 3-5 times a week. Usually Burger King or Wendy's, because BK was on my way home from work and Wendy's was within walking distance of my apartment.

I ate it because it was quick (duh). I ate it because it was yummy. I ate it because I was constantly hungover, and I definitely subscribe to the whole "greasy food makes hangovers less potent" philosophy. I ate it because it was cheap. I ate it because I really didn't know how to cook outside of grilled cheese sandwiches, pasta, frozen pizza and toasting a bagel. Etc, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

There are numerous reasons as to why I gained 25 pounds between August 2001 and January 2002, not the least of which were my drinking habits. But yeah, fast food played a part in it, and when I returned home from my internship and felt heavy, lethargic, and disgusted with myself, I knew something had to change. Of course, I'm not much for "diets". Especially fad ones. Therefore, I challenged myself to give up fast food.

That was over 9 years ago (obviously) and to this day I may eat fast food (note that despite recent arguments, I don't really count a veggie sub on wheat from Subway as fast food) once every month or month and a half. Sometimes it's even less often than that--really it depends on whether I can stave off that hungover craving for a McDonald's cheeseburger. And how much traveling I'm doing, because although I try to eat healthy on the road, sometimes I don't have much choice.

And yes, I think that my aversion to fast food plays a HUGE part in how I generally feel...and how I feel about myself. Hence it getting its own Wellness Wednesday post ;o) Seriously though--half the time I guarantee you that you don't even know what you're putting in your body when you grab a burger from a fast food joint. Yuck. And it probably contains half the amount of calories you should eat in an entire day. Double yuck. So here's the word from an anti-dieter: you want to lose weight? The first thing you should drop is the fast food. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I used to eat a good amount of fast food. I've found that the longer you go without it, the less you want it, so I just kind of used that to slow down my intake many years ago.

    For the past three years or so, I'd say I eat it maybe 3 times a year, usually when traveling. It helps that I don't like most fast food places to begin with (really, I only "like" McDonald's). Even then, I don't eat a *lot* of it. I'll get a small fry and a cheeseburger or whatever. Basically, Happy Meal size. I'm OK with that the few times a year I eat it!

    ReplyDelete