Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dinner, Tapas Style!

I'm a big fan of tapas when eating out, and only wish that I had the time to make three or four tapas dishes for Steve and I to share for dinner one night. But I don't, so I did two tapas dishes, both without meat. And not only were they both delicious, but they complimented each other even better than I could have hoped!

Sweet Balsamic Onions

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound pearl onions, peeled
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I eyeballed this and likely used more like 4 tablespoons)
Salt & Pepper

-Preheat the oven to 350. Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan and add the onions. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until browned. (about 15 minutes)
-Transfer the onions to a small baking dish. Sprinkle with the garlic and spoon the balsamic vinegar over the top. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
Grilled Goat Cheese with Honey Sauce

2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons red wine (I used a shiraz cab blend)
10 oz of goat cheese (the kind that comes in a log), sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 baguette, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
Dried oregano, for sprinkling

-Put the honey and wine in a small pan and cook over low heat, stirring, until the honey has dissolved.
-Place a round of cheese on each piece of toast and pour a little of the honey mixture on top. Sprinkle with the oregano (as desired, I used a pretty light sprinkle on each piece) and broil about 8 inches from the heat source for 3-5 minutes. When they have just started to brown, remove from the oven and serve immediately.

If you want some greens, these dishes would be great with a light, crisp salad! In fact, you could double or triple the honey sauce recipe for extra drizzles over the grilled goat cheese and/or the salad :)
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. We make a similar recipe at home. Well, my husband makes a similar recipe. Love tapas! Thanks for sharing.--Penny

    http://missgoodonpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum that goat cheese one sounds fantastic. And I need to do something with pearl onions soon! I've been wanting them lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Penny - I know! I love them but it's so much work for so little food, most of the time...and my husband eats like a goat. Thankfully both of these recipes made enough for 2, plus some leftovers :)

    @Stacy - Between the goat cheese and the onions, I honestly couldn't help thinking of you as I was posting these recipes last night!

    ReplyDelete