Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Very Special Thirsty Thursday ;)


Today is May 5th. So yeah, I should probably be blogging about fun Mexican themed drinks. But...I have something more important in mind. More important to me, I mean ;) Because today being Thursday, May 5th means that last Saturday was April 30th. And that makes this Saturday the first Saturday in May, which means one very important thing:

DERBY DAY!!!

And in case you didn't know, THE drink of the Kentucky Derby features one of my favorite types of liquor: bourbon. That drink, my dears, is a Mint Julep!
source
Traditionally, the mint julep is served in a silver plated cup. Obviously my husband and I don't have an abundance of silver plated cups just lying around our house, so we just use plain old glasses. But outside of that, we do it up right at our annual Derby Party. This year will be our third year throwing a Derby party together; previously I threw one with Ex as well (just one, though). Anyway. What really matters is that I am a Derby party food master...but dear Steve is a Mint Julep master for sure. And these are not easy drinks to perfect.

This recipe is probably closest to how Steve makes his Mint Juleps. I'd give you his exact recipe, but it's locked away in his head (like the recipe for his crepes) and he's not sharing! ;)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 32 fluid ounces Kentucky bourbon
  • 8 sprigs fresh mint leaves for garnish

Directions

  1. Combine water, sugar and chopped mint leaves in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow syrup to cool, approximately 1 hour. Pour syrup through a strainer to remove mint leaves
  2. Fill eight cups or frozen goblets with crushed ice and pour 4 ounces of bourbon and 1/4 cup mint syrup in each. (Proportions can be adjusted depending on each person's sweet tooth). Top each cup with a mint sprig and a straw. Trim straws to just barely protrude from the top of the cups. Serve juleps on a silver platter.
(As a side note, we do not serve our juleps on a silver platter or bother with the straws. As for the bourbon, we use Early Times as that is the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby Mint Julep.)
Stay tuned as next week I will absolutely recap you on what is sure to be another successful Kentucky Derby party :)
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Yummmy! following you from Thirty Thursday :)Please follow back http://sweetcalifornialiving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge mint julep fan but maybe I just haven't had a good one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stacy - I seriously think you haven't had a good one. If you're okay with bourbon you should love mint juleps... ;) Really though, it's all about the mix of ingredients; I've had some that are way too sweet and some that are way too strong. If you ever get a chance to go to Louisville, they serve a PERFECT mint julep at the Kentucky Derby Museum Cafe at Churchill Downs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything with mint sounds refreshing enough to me:) Oh and probably you've been told before, but you look quite a lot like Gwen Stefani in your profile picture:) So pretty! I am now following you thanks to Thirsty Thursday, and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
    Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday, where you can meet lots of friends and have a great time:) See you there!
    Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete