It's Thirsty Thursday again, and thanks to Untappd I have been great about keeping track of new beers I have tried. What makes it all even better is that one of my 101 in 1001 goals was to try 10 new beers :) And now I can not only list them, but give you my personal ratings!
(And in fact, as of last Friday afternoon I had 9 out of 10 new beers...and then Friday evening I went to a great new Belgian restaurant and tried four more. So you get a few extra beer suggestions.)
As a note, I typically prefer wheat beers and lagers. Although I love Magic Hat #9 I have yet to find another pale ale style beer that I truly enjoy, and I really don't care for IPAs. And although I have to be in the mood for them, recently I've really started loving stouts! That said, please note that while I am definitely a beer lover, I haven't been schooled in this so my opinions are just that...opinions, and not really comparable to those of a professional, err, beer drinker.
1) Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - I guess I'd give this one a 2/5. It wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, but the fruit taste was far too prevalent. To the point where it almost didn't even taste like beer. I like Shock Top just fine (though it isn't ever really my first choice) so this one was a bit of a disappointment. But if you're not much of a beer person and like fruity drinks you may enjoy it.
2) Bell's Oberon - 4/5! I really enjoyed this beer. Not much else to say :)
3) Pacifico - 3.5/5...another one I really liked! Far superior to Corona.
4) Sam Adams Coastal Wheat - 3/5. Although the lemon "hints" were a bit too much for my liking, this is a good fresh summer beer.
5) Sam Adams Cream Stout - 3.5/5. Between this and Thomas Creek's Banana Split Stout, I really may start calling myself a stout girl sometime soon!
6) Sam Adams Black Lager - I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams regular lager, but I'll give this one a 3/5. It had a bit of a dry finish for my taste but I liked it better than regular Sam Adams.
7) Sam Adams Summer Ale - Ugh, 1/5. Maybe. This beer was awful. It had this weird, spicy taste to it that I just couldn't force myself to like. And that didn't seem to fit with this being a SUMMER ale. I have friends who LOVE it though...so maybe I'm just anti-pale ale?
8) Barley's Scottish Ale - This beer is made at a brewery in Columbus, Ohio and I'm not even sure you can get it outside of that city...though I could be wrong. That said, 4/5! This was a red ale but far superior to its mass produced counterpart Killian's.
9) Columbus Brewery Pale Ale - I can only rate this a 2/5, though to be honest I can't even really pinpoint why I didn't like it. Could be because I'm not much of a Pale Ale person, but I also didn't care for the aftertaste/finish of this particular beer.
10) La Trappe Isid'or - 3.5/5; this may sound weird but I have nothing negative OR extremely positive to say about this one...it's just a tasty brew :)
11) Unibroue Trois Pistoles - 4.5/5. I really can't suggest this one enough. I can't even describe how good it is. Maybe it's the high alcohol content? LOL
12) Ommegang Witte - 3/5. This beer was good but not the best Witte I've ever had.
13) Unibroue Noir de Chambly - Another 3/5. Good, but the Trois Pistoles was much better. This one was almost...too sweet (and that means a lot coming from someone who loves wheat beers and fruit flavored wheat bears).
And that's that! Hope you noticed a name on this list and decided to try some of these for yourself...or maybe ignore them, based on my ratings ;) Have a great [Thirsty] Thursday, everyone!