Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Book Review: Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

This is the first Jodi Picoult novel I've read, though I did see the movie My Sister's Keeper and didn't care for it. Because of that, I really wasn't expecting much from Nineteen Minutes. However, from the moment I picked up this novel I didn't want to put it down. Although I think that there was a lot of repetitive filler dealing with some of the main characters' feelings/issues (Alex Cormier and Lacy Houghton in particular), the back and forth between present and past certainly kept me guessing regarding the ending...for a while. Unfortunately, I disagree with other reviewers that the twist in this book was amazing. Although I hadn't figured out the exact details, it becomes pretty obvious that a certain character or two knows something they aren't revealing and one can certainly, as I did, hazard an educated guess as to the nature of said secret. 3.5/5 stars



"...one person's trauma is another's loss of innocence."

"You could patch up whatever was broken, but if you were the one who had fixed it, you'd always know in your heart where the fault lines lay."

"'The right thing sets you up to be incredibly lonely, sometimes.'"

"Life was what happened when all the what-if's didn't, when what you dreamed or hoped or--in this case--feared might come to pass passed by instead."

"...only if you felt such fullness could you really understand the ache of being empty."

"Popular kids didn't really have friends; they had alliances."

"'What's the difference between spending your life trying to be invisible, or pretending to be the person you think everyone wants you to be? Either way, you're faking.'" Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Are these the quotes from the book? There's lots of wisdom in it, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Julia - yes, they are quotes from the book :) To be honest, for a 400+ page book the bits of wisdom are few and far between, but it's certainly a good look into the life of a bullied teenager gone wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't like the movie "My Sister's Keeper". I cried at that movie, and was deeply moved by it... Plus it has an amazing soundtrack song by Edwina Hayes. But then, i dunno, maybe i was just very emotionally vulnerable when i saw it. I did think that the twist of the plot was too much Hollywood, i was just deeply moved by the portrayal of what that family was going through.

    ReplyDelete