Monday, June 6, 2011

More Monday Confessions.

Actually, today I really only have one confession, that being: I have way too much going on in my life right now. I haven't picked up my guitar in almost a month - my callouses are peeling off and that depresses me (and no, I don't care of it grosses you out). My house needs to be cleaned and I don't foresee when that will happen. I haven't been to band practice (I'm the singer) in nearly 4 weeks and I'm nervous about going tomorrow night. I'm behind on reviewing the Amazon Vine products I've received. And on top of everything, I just can't seem to make myself focus lately.

So settle in for a wordy, picture-less entry, folks.

At the end of last week I had to force myself to take a step back and try to remember why I started this blogging thing in the first place. I got some good advice from a friend and fellow blogger, but - and absolutely no offense meant to her because she is far more of a blogging success than I ever expect to be - it didn't really jive with me. With me, and with what I expect from myself and my blog, I mean.

I started blogging in October 2009 with a sort of couples' blog, you see. That kind of died down after we got married, but less because of the marriage and more because it just became a blog about the fun things to do in and around our city. Said blog still exists but is attached to my Greenville website and wouldn't be a fun read for anyone who isn't living in, moving to, or visiting this area.

Next came my travel blog, which unfortunately does need to be its own entity simply because if I combined it with this blog, you would be seeing at least 8-10 posts a week from me and that's a bit over the top. I know I'm awesome and all, but I don't want people to start skipping over 90% of my entries simply because my name pops up every other second in your reader, capiche?

This particular blog was born because I wanted to showcase both my writing and my wifely skills (i.e. cooking, I'm not good at much else). I guess it's something of a lifestyle blog but I still haven't really found my niche. I'm not particularly funny. I don't stick to a specific type of meal/cooking (i.e. vegetarian, organic/all natural). I enjoy posting my cute outfits and outfit fails, but I'm by no means a fashion blogger (nor do I want to be). To me, my most enjoyable posts are the ones where I ramble about my beliefs, my past, and the things I love about my life right now. I tried participating in some of those weekly meme things, but honestly I just felt fenced in by most of them (with the exception of Semi-Wordless Wednesday)...and while everyone enjoys new followers, I want to connect with people. I have 51 "followers" and I doubt 45 of them have left more than one comment on this blog. I'm not complaining, really, but if I follow a blog I do it to connect with the interesting person who writes it. And I don't understand the appeal of doing it, otherwise.

I'm rambling, I realize I'm rambling, and to be honest I'm known for my rambling. Or I was. And I need to get back to that, in a way. Because my forte is telling my stories. I'm all for posting fun pictures and I love sharing recipes, don't get me wrong, but my writing, my actual writing, is where it's at. So maybe this is less of a lifestyle blog from now on, and more of an...advice blog.
source
Well...maybe not that kind of advice.

But I'll try my best to be interesting, at least ;) And I'll continue writing series like The Houses That Built Me, because although my life is obviously incredibly awesome it took a lot to get me here and that knowledge is very, very important. I mean, who wants to listen to advice from someone who lives the perfect life?

(note extreme sarcasm)

Anyway, for those of you who choose to stick around despite the fact that I will be far more wordy and less vapid in the future...thanks in advance! and <3 <3 <3 Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I think you just need to write :) If followers and niches don't matter to you, then just write! Use this blog for a creative outlet and a place to vent, nothing more.

    You could always go back to LJ, but it seems to be the trend that people are moving over to blogs, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to take a step back and realize what you really want to get out of this blog, as well as what you'd like to write in it. It really does sound like you need to get back to writing for the sake of writing, not for the sake of a prompt or set "theme".

    ReplyDelete