Sunday, June 19, 2011

New Recipe, Sans Picture :-/

Why no picture for this recipe, you ask?

Well, because the night I made it I was so hungry that by the time it was ready I gobbled it up and forgot to take on!

But that was fine, I told myself, because there were plenty of leftovers and I could take a picture the next night!

Except that the next night, when I heated the dish up in the oven, I knew how good it was and was so excited to eat it again that I forgot to take a picture that time too! That's how tasty this meal is...so make it, and enjoy ;)

Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Celery Root

4-6 bone-in chicken breasts with skin
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 whole heads of garlic, skin on, top 1/3 of each sliced off
4 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 large celery root (or two small ones), peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
1 overflowing teaspoon of curry powder

-Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat the bottom of a flameproof roasting pan with the olive oil and place over high heat on the stove top. When very hot, add the chicken pieces skin-side down and cook, turning occasionally, until browned (8-10 minutes).
-Remove the pan from the heat and add the garlic heads, turning to coat with the olive oil and chicken juices.
-In a large bowl, toss the potatoes and celery root with a generous amount of olive oil (at least two tablespoons) and the curry powder. Add to the pan and season the entire dish well with the salt and pepper.
-Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, stirring the vegetables at least twice, until the chicken is white throughout and the potatoes are golden. Keep an eye on the garlic heads - if they look like they are getting too dark spoon some of the other veggies over them.

Now, I know celery root is scary-looking. In fact, when Steve saw it in the fridge he actually asked, "What the heck is this hairy brown ball in the fridge? Am I going to have to eat this?" And it is a bit of a pain in the butt to "peel" (we just sliced off the skin as best we could). But it basically tastes like celery, only with the consistency of a potato, and it complements the other parts of this dish very well...I promise :)

Anyway, I'm off on a business trip tomorrow and not sure if I will have a chance to write before Wednesday or Thursday!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I have not cooked with celery root yet but I'll have to check it out. Wonder when it's in season? I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete