Friday, June 17, 2011

Reading Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone

Last year, I decided that I wanted to re-read all seven Harry Potter books before Deathly Hallows Part 1 came out on November 19th. To be truthful, my real goal was to finish all of them in a month--and it took me a mere two days to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Yes, just two days. Let's be honest, these are children's books...they are very fast reads for someone who had been trudging through the likes of Doris Lessing earlier in the year. Still, the last few HP books are so long that although I wanted to finish them all by November 7th, I knew that I would be more than happy to simply do so by November 18th.

There have been so many reviews of all of the HP books that there's no point in me writing another one :) But reading this book (for what was at least the 4th time...but I have a feeling was more like the 5th or 6th time) just reminded me why I fell in love with this series in the first place. I had forgotten how funny Sorcerer's Stone is! I was literally laughing out loud every few pages. But it's also interesting (especially as I re-read books 6 and 7 in the summer of 2009) noticing how juvenile the writing is in Rowling's earliest work. She absolutely grew as a writer as she produced these books, and it having been so long since I'd read the first installment, I'd forgotten about that.

"'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live...'"

"'You know, the Stone was really not such a wonderful thing. As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all--the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.'"

"'The truth.' Dumbledore signed. 'It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'"

"'There are all kinds of courage,' said Dumbledore, smiling. 'It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.'" Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment