Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thirsty Thursday, 101 in 1001 style!



It's Thirsty Thursday again, and thanks to Untappd I have been great about keeping track of new beers I have tried. What makes it all even better is that one of my 101 in 1001 goals was to try 10 new beers :) And now I can not only list them, but give you my personal ratings!

(And in fact, as of last Friday afternoon I had 9 out of 10 new beers...and then Friday evening I went to a great new Belgian restaurant and tried four more. So you get a few extra beer suggestions.)

As a note, I typically prefer wheat beers and lagers. Although I love Magic Hat #9 I have yet to find another pale ale style beer that I truly enjoy, and I really don't care for IPAs. And although I have to be in the mood for them, recently I've really started loving stouts! That said, please note that while I am definitely a beer lover, I haven't been schooled in this so my opinions are just that...opinions, and not really comparable to those of a professional, err, beer drinker.


1) Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - I guess I'd give this one a 2/5. It wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, but the fruit taste was far too prevalent. To the point where it almost didn't even taste like beer. I like Shock Top just fine (though it isn't ever really my first choice) so this one was a bit of a disappointment. But if you're not much of a beer person and like fruity drinks you may enjoy it.

2) Bell's Oberon - 4/5! I really enjoyed this beer. Not much else to say :)

3) Pacifico - 3.5/5...another one I really liked! Far superior to Corona.

4) Sam Adams Coastal Wheat - 3/5. Although the lemon "hints" were a bit too much for my liking, this is a good fresh summer beer.

5) Sam Adams Cream Stout - 3.5/5. Between this and Thomas Creek's Banana Split Stout, I really may start calling myself a stout girl sometime soon!

6) Sam Adams Black Lager - I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams regular lager, but I'll give this one a 3/5. It had a bit of a dry finish for my taste but I liked it better than regular Sam Adams.

7) Sam Adams Summer Ale - Ugh, 1/5. Maybe. This beer was awful. It had this weird, spicy taste to it that I just couldn't force myself to like. And that didn't seem to fit with this being a SUMMER ale. I have friends who LOVE it though...so maybe I'm just anti-pale ale?

8) Barley's Scottish Ale - This beer is made at a brewery in Columbus, Ohio and I'm not even sure you can get it outside of that city...though I could be wrong. That said, 4/5! This was a red ale but far superior to its mass produced counterpart Killian's.

9) Columbus Brewery Pale Ale - I can only rate this a 2/5, though to be honest I can't even really pinpoint why I didn't like it. Could be because I'm not much of a Pale Ale person, but I also didn't care for the aftertaste/finish of this particular beer.

10) La Trappe Isid'or - 3.5/5; this may sound weird but I have nothing negative OR extremely positive to say about this one...it's just a tasty brew :)

11) Unibroue Trois Pistoles - 4.5/5. I really can't suggest this one enough. I can't even describe how good it is. Maybe it's the high alcohol content? LOL

12) Ommegang Witte - 3/5. This beer was good but not the best Witte I've ever had.

13) Unibroue Noir de Chambly - Another 3/5. Good, but the Trois Pistoles was much better. This one was almost...too sweet (and that means a lot coming from someone who loves wheat beers and fruit flavored wheat bears).

And that's that! Hope you noticed a name on this list and decided to try some of these for yourself...or maybe ignore them, based on my ratings ;) Have a great [Thirsty] Thursday, everyone! Pin It

8 comments:

  1. do they sell sweetwater anywhere near you? if so, you should try sweetwater blue - based on those beer choices/ratings and liking #9 I think you'd like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @annahita - I've actually had Sweetwater Blue! I think I can even by it at the grocery store I shop at :) But originally I tried it at Top of the Hops here in Greenville last year, and I do like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that everything bell's makes is touched with gold. they're just fantastic.

    it took me a while but i'm now really into IPA's, the hoppier the better! and now that i drink so much craft beer, i'm never going back to major beer companies. technically, sam adams is considered craft beer and they're OK, but there's nothing like some of the smaller breweries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like beer at all except maybe a coors light when it's really hot out (because coors light tastes like water, and water's good on a hot day). My husband likes beer, but he always tells me just to get him something that says IPA on it, I really know nothing about beer. But, if you'd like to know about Mike's Hard Lemonade flavor varieties let me know! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stacy - Sam Adams is a good fall back for us because we don't always have time to get over to our local brewery or to Total Wine & More. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good their Cream Stout was!

    @rachel - Honestly, I don't think I've had Mike's since I was in high school (oops...should I not have admitted that? haha). It gives me the worst stomach aches! (As do all of those malt-y alcoholic beverages...a la Smirnoff Ice, Zima, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous! Every year for Father's Day I get my dad a 6 pack of mix & match and we try new craft beers (not an easy task considering how much of a beer lover he is). Neither of us has ever met a Sam Adams we didn't love... he's definitely an IPA guy and I'm pretty sure it's an acquired taste because I only recently started to like it. I tend to lean toward stouts, lagers, and wheat beers with some amber ales thrown in for fun. If you've never tried it, check out Jefferson Reserve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list makes me want to do this now!

    Have you tried Sol? I like it much better than Corona and Pacifico.

    ReplyDelete
  8. perhaps it's my Northeast loyalty, but I LOVE Sam Adams Summer Ale!! it's one of my favorite beers period, not just seasonally. have you tried any Southern Tier?

    ReplyDelete