Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: France, A Traveler's Literary Companion edited by William Rodarmor

Admittedly, I'm not big on short stories, so reading a collection of them was possibly not the best idea I've ever had. However, when traveling to Alaska a few years ago I picked up a similar book - a collection of stories written by Alaskan authors or by outsiders regarding their visits to this beautiful state - and loved it. And especially loved reading it while I was there. This book I chose to prepare myself for an upcoming stop in France on a much bigger Eurotrip, and I'm sorry to say that I struggled through it. This particular collection consisted of not one story that left me with a positive feeling. Not one. They were all sad or awful or good until I got to the last page and read an ending that left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm left wondering whether the editors just chose a terribly depressing bunch of stories, or if terribly depressing stories are the only kind of stories French authors write. 1.5/5 stars and I obviously do not recommend this book - though some of the stories, for example The Lottery of France and The Ladle were by themselves fairly decent.



"...do we really need to take a pill so we can tell our life story to complete strangers? We have literature for that."

"...there's almost more difference between dogs than between people. I mean in terms of their inner nature, what comes from the heart and from the head."

"In smiling on him, fortune had spared him the cruelest of constraints, of having to make a choice." Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Let's file this one under anthologies so that you don't give up on short stories! There are so many beautiful and breathtaking stories out there. =) Be on the look out for a list of favorite stories sometime soon...

    -Miss GOP
    www.thewritingapprentice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Stopping by from FTLOB to leave a little critique! :)

    I think you have great content! I love that you dressed up as a character from the HP movie for the midnight showing! Heheh!

    There is only two things on your blog that I would consider changing. Your header: it is pretty hard to read with the busy background. It kind of hurts my head to focus on the words. But I love the colors there. Also, I would make sure all of your items in your right sidebar fit INTO your right sidebar. It's kind of wonky when something goes outside of your background, I am speaking of the Twitter box. :)

    I hope you have a wonderful day!

    -Adrienne
    http://right-here--right-now.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete