Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Midnight Showing

I'm exhausted. I'm simply too old to be up until 3 AM on a work night.

But...it was totally worth it!

Of course I followed through with my plan to dress up as Luna. I had purchased her wand some time ago knowing that I would do so...

...same with the Spectra Specs. Both were purchased on sale ;)

And the rest of it? I bought the skirt at Old Navy, but I'll wear it again so no biggie. The button down shirt, bag, tights, socks, and sneakers I had; the tie is Steve's. The radish earrings are made from fimo and courtesy of my wonderful mother in law :) And Steve and I spent about $10 at Michael's to make the "Butterbeer cork" necklace!

And the Quibbler was homemade too.

In case you can't tell, I was pretty darn proud of my costume!

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get more/better pictures :-/ But I didn't want to be constantly bugging Steve to take them, and I didn't want to interrupt the other people who were dressed up...though I would have loved to get pictures of the really awesome Tonks and Bellatrix costumes I saw, and there was a cool Voldemort outfit as well...complete with a stuffed snake wrapped around the person's neck!

It's all good though, because I'm pretty sure this is the perfect Halloween costume for me this year :) We will be Drinking Around the World in Orlando ON Halloween...comfort is key and this outfit is pretty comfy, so there ya go!

As for the movie...well, let's not lie: the only HP movies that were true enough to the book to not be seriously criticized by, well, everyone were Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and Goblet of Fire. Personally, after a major rant over Prisoner of Azkaban (the movie), I gave up outright complaining about the HP movies and therefore won't do so with this one either.

(I'm giving y'all a slight spoiler alert right now!)

Some things were great - Mrs. Weasley's classic line, the actual moment when Neville cut off Nagini's head...and Snape's death. Which doesn't happen exactly like it does in the book, but it is - if anything - better. But as usual, they cut out huge chunks of the storyline, pieces that are extremely important in the book, and added in random scenes that were - to say the least - completely unnecessary.

As a whole, I was pleased by not amazed. Still, I've long since given up feeling disappointed in these movies and instead just taking them for what they are - good entertainment, and a piece of a wonderful world that teaches true courage and friendship to younger generations. Pin It

6 comments:

  1. You look awesome Tara! Totally pulled it off. The radish earrings are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - you're costume is amazing! I'm so jealous. I'm so excited to go and see Harry Potter tomorrow, I'll be doing a blog post on it too - although not dressing up. Or maybe.... you've inspired me now.

    Totally agree about the films though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your costume is so amazing! You are my hero :)

    I really enjoyed the movie, but yes, definitely was not a fan of some of the things that were cut out/changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO jealous that you got to go to the premiere! I hope it was FABULOUS! Also - you are my FAVORITE luna that I have seen! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for the kind comments about my costume! I had SO much fun that I'm pretty darn sure I will wear almost an exact same version of this for Halloween this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this cosutme so much! Gah!

    There was also a Voldemort with a stuffed snake around his person at my local theater too. I truly was impressed by a lot of the costumes I saw. It almost makes me think that today's teenagers aren't a complete waste of time. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete