Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday Confessions: It's been a long week.

As usual, the only "rule" of this blog hop is that you post the button in your entry. I'm not going to go around policing whether or not you follow people or leave comments from this hop...that's just not my style ;)


I confess...that Friday meant two months until my next Vegas trip, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since it was booked months and months ago!

I confess...that when they stopped selling alcohol at the Miranda Lambert concert on Saturday at 9:30 PM (!?!?!?!)...I was really annoyed. Granted I'd only had one large beer and it wasn't like I needed to drink, but dammit, why does South Carolina not get that people probably want to drink a beer when they're at a country music concert? (I've run into this problem before, if you can't tell)

I confess...that I am super duper excited that the new Harry Potter movie beat out the Dark Knight opening weekend ticket sales, and I think it's ridiculous that people are making the argument that "if inflation were taken into account Dark Knight would still be in the lead". First of all, if we had taken inflation into account when Dark Knight beat the previous record of...what was it, Spiderman 3?...maybe Dark Knight wouldn't hold the record. And maybe Spiderman 3 wouldn't have beat out I think...Pirates 2? Which wouldn't have beat out whatever movie came before that. Catch my drift? And beyond that, Dark Knight was one of the most boring movies I've ever forced myself to sit through. I wasn't a huge fan of the new HP flick, honestly, but it was far better than Dark Knight at least.

And last but not least, I confess...that I lost my Steak-n-Shake virginity next week! In this case it was all for the sake of blogging, but I'll get into the details on that at a later time ;)


Hope y'all had as good of a weekend as I did!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. "and I think it's ridiculous that people are making the argument that "if inflation were taken into account Dark Knight would still be in the lead". First of all, if we had taken inflation into account when Dark Knight beat the previous record of...what was it, Spiderman 3?...maybe Dark Knight wouldn't hold the record. "

    Your argument makes no sense. Inflation only effects the amount of money that is brought into the box office, not the number of tickets sold.

    TDK: $158,411,483

    Ticket Prices in 2008: $7.18

    158411483 / 7.18 = 22,062,881 tickets sold

    Spiderman 3: $151,116,516

    Ticket prices in 2007: $6.88

    151116516 / 6.88 = 21,964,610

    TDK did, in fact, sell more tickets than Spiderman 3 in their respective opening weekends. Spiderman 3 sold more tickets than Dead Man's Chest. Both TDK and Spiderman 3 sold more actual tickets than DH2. The price of the tickets had nothing to do with the amount of tickets sold

    This isn't based on fanboyism, this is pure mathematical fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous - Everything I've seen has only mentioned adjusting due to inflation. Numerous searches have rendered no definite information that TDK sold more tickets than HP. While your, err, logic is somewhat understandable...you can't just take the total sales and divide it by some arbitrary average ticket price. Where I live, movie ticket prices haven't changed since 2009, so though I know they've increased in other places and the average ticket price is still higher, there's a lot of room for error in these numbers.

    I'm not saying that HP 7.2 was the best movie ever, though I will say that I didn't at all care for Dark Knight. It was boring and lifeless and predictable and the only good acting came from Heath Ledger, but I'm not going to rant and rave about how awesome a crappy movie was just because he died.

    And regardless, the following *actual* statistics speak for themselves. HP 7.2 had:
    The biggest-ever midnight gross ($43.5 million).
    The biggest-ever opening day/single day haul ($92.1 million).
    The biggest-ever IMAX opening ($15.5 million).
    The biggest-ever opening three-day total ($168.8 million) domestically.
    The biggest-ever international total for a three-day opening ($475 million).

    There is no mathematical FACT in your half-informed formulas.

    And in the end it doesn't matter anyway...when you take into consideration population and monetary inflation TDK is 28th on a very large list, with far more amazing movies like Gone with the Wind, the original Star Wars trilogy, The Ten Commandments, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, The Graduate and a few animated Disney flicks in the top 20.

    ReplyDelete