Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reading Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows

At the end, I feel much the same as I did when I read the final Harry Potter book for the first time. That it was good, great, amazing, even...but not perfect. As much as I hated to say it then, and still hate to say it now - not enough important characters died. And although Rowling wrapped things up, there are a lot of frayed ends on some of the answers she gave. Of course, who am I to say that Rowling was maybe rushing a bit to finish the series, that maybe there were things she kind of pulled out of nowhere that didn't make much sense? She wrote something that I could never write, could never match.

And at the end, it was really interesting watching these books go from a late elementary school/early middle school reading level to a high school reading level (at the very least). There were absolutely words(in the last few books at least) that I wouldn't have known the meaning of when I was a child. Not to mention ideas or themes that I couldn't have even begun to understand at, say, 8 to 10 years old. I used to be a bit sad that the Harry Potter series was published so "late" (as it were) in my life...but now I think that I'd rather know it the way I do than have read the series as a child and not even begun to truly "get" it.

As it were, my order of favorites is as follows:
First, Order of the Phoenix.
Second, Sorcerer's Stone.
Third, Goblet of Fire.
Fourth, Deathly Hallows.
Fifth, Prisoner of Azkaban.
Sixth, Half-Blood Prince.
Seventh, Chamber of Secrets.


"'He loved you,' Hermione whispered. 'I know he loved you.'
'I don't know who he loved, Hermione, but it was never me. This isn't love, the mess he's left me in.'"

"'You've sort of made up for it tonight,' said Harry. 'Getting the sword. Finishing off the Horcrux. Saving my life.'
'That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was,' Ron mumbled.
'Stuff like that always sounds cooler than it really was,' said Harry. 'I've been trying to tell you that for years.'"

"'He must've known I'd run out on you.'
'No,' Harry corrected him. 'He must've known you'd always want to come back.'"

"'...perhaps those best suited to power are those who have never sought it.'"

"'Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.'"

"Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?'" Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment