Friday, July 8, 2011

You know me and my sandwiches ;)

A while back I was reading an article about sandwiches that simply listed off some different combinations that the writer had loved. One of these combinations involved pears and blue cheese...and of course I made a note of it, did a couple Google searches, and combined a couple different recipes that I found to create this bad boy. Which was, in a word, delicious.


GRILLED BLUE CHEESE & PEAR SANDWICH

Sourdough bread in 1/2 inch slices
Butter, softened
Sour cream
1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cup shredded Havarti cheese

-Combine the blue and havarti cheeses in a small bowl and thinly spread sour cream on one side of each piece of bread
-Add the sliced pears and cheeses to your taste (I had one layer of pear slices and plenty of cheese!)
-Preheat a skillet and melt the softened butter in it
-Cook for 2 minutes, remove sandwich, add more butter to pan, flip sandwich and cook for 2 minutes on the other side - you want the bread to be brown and crisp and the cheese to be melted :)

As you can see, I threw some roasted broccoli on the side (you can find the broccoli recipe here). And again, the sandwich was just a great mix of ingredients...the sour cream and more "bland" Havarti toned down the sharpness of the blue cheese, and the crunchy sweetness of the pears was perfect!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. This looks really different, but surprisingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks AWESOME. I love grilled cheese with apples, too. I'm also intrigued by whether people butter the bread or melt butter in the pan for grilled cheese...I don't know why, but I always butter the bread, never the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite cheese with pear is brie but this looks like a great combo too.

    ReplyDelete