Thursday, August 11, 2011

Blogs from the Past: 1/27/2004

For those of you who don't know, I've actually been "blogging" in some form or another since January 2004. Although a lot of what I wrote in my early years as a blogger was, well, questionable, there were also some interesting entries and I don't want them to get lost in the shuffle now that I have this totally separate, completely public blog. Therefore, I've decided to start a series called "Blogs from the Past" and this will be the first one I share with you! This may end up being a weekly series but for now I think I'll leave it sporadic...because it's easier for me to not have to follow a blogging "schedule" every day of the week :)

"I've realized that when you truly love, you have no freedom." - Le Divorce

I can't remember whether this quote is in both the book and the movie Le Divorce (neither of which was a big favorite of mine), but I read the book and saw the movie in late 2003/early 2004 and this particular line really resonated with me at the time. I had been married to Ex for nearly eight months and we had just started getting into arguments about whether we would move back to Orlando when I finished school in the fall of 2004. I posted this quote in my old blog with a comment about how well I understood it.

And to be honest, that scares me even now. That, having just turned 21 and having been married less than a year, I already knew deep down that that marriage would cause me to lose so much of who I was.

What do you think of this quote? Pin It

3 comments:

  1. wow - what an intense reflection for such a young person. i'm so glad you were able to move past that and hope you are much much much happier now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting quote -- I guess I wonder if that's how you still feel about love, or if it was just how you felt about the love you had with your ex. I know I don't personally feel that way about love, or feel like my relationship with my fiancé puts me in that position, but I could understand a type of love that would make you feel that way.

    Hopefully all that made sense on some level .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @how i met your father - thank you! and I know...to think that I had literally just turned 21 when I first heard this quote and wrote about it. it was seriously another lifetime.

    @Marcy - to be honest I *do* still believe in this quote, but its meaning is different to me now. I mean, think about it - when you are in love with someone, you literally don't want to just up and leave them (for travel, to move away for a job, etc.). And you worry about your relationship (at some point or another), you think about them all the time...you're never truly FREE of that person. Not necessarily a bad thing but there it is.

    ReplyDelete