Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Review: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

I read this book because I wanted to do so before seeing the movie. I have to be up front and say that I'm not really a "chick lit" person and I didn't expect to LOVE Something Borrowed. However, I'd heard a lot of positive things about how it portrays the gray areas of having an affair (blah blah blah). Unfortunately, I have to disagree with all of the glowing reviews that say as much. This story was unrealistic - the good characters were too good, the bad characters too bad, and (spoiler alert!) everything worked out far too perfectly in the end. Some say the ending was predictable. I disagree...it wasn't. But that doesn't mean it was GOOD. I think Giffin had a great premise with this story and could have made this a far better novel, but the entire thing just felt lifeless to me. 1.5/5 stars



"I haven't thrown up from drinking since college, and that only happened once. Because I learn from my mistakes. Most college kids say, "I will never do this again," and then do it the following weekend. But I stuck to it. That is how I am. I will learn from this one too."

"The only real guilt I can muster is guilt over not feeling guilty."

"To think that a C once symbolized all the things gone wrong in my tidy world."

"I can control what I'm doing. There is emotion, and then there is what you do about it."

"There is no better audience for someone in love than someone in love."

"...the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference."

"...I have learned that you make your own happiness, that part of going for what you want means losing something else. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment