Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blogs from the Past: 6/14/2004

This entry is being posted with just a few minor edits. I've already written about this house in my Houses That Built Me series, but this is a much older take on it (older as in closer to the time I actually lived there) and therefore contains...I don't know, maybe more jaded thoughts/opinions. Also...I'm going to try to include some old pictures. For your entertainment, of course ;) As usual, [some] names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

My parents are pretty sure they've sold their house. I am extremely happy for them, because the mortgage on the house was insane, and the house is too big for them now anyway. I mean, who needs a four-bedroom, 4500 square foot house when one of their daughters is married, another lives at school eight months out of the year, and the third is almost 17? Besides, my parents have a lot of bad memories from that house.

But still, I can't decide how I feel about them selling the house and moving. Like I said, I of course am happy for them, because I know that selling it and moving is what is best for them...but I lived in that house too, you know? Okay, I lived there for two years straight, lived at school for a semester, lived there again for 7 months, lived in Florida for four and a half months, lived with my parents yet again for four months, and haven't stayed there for longer than three weeks since then...but still. I was 15 when we moved into that house, and it was only the second house I remember living in (we lived in one house until I was two, moved to Ellington and lived on the mountain until I was 15, and then moved into the house that my parents just sold). So many of the important things that happened in my life happened when I lived there.

Saturday afternoon it was beautiful out, sunny and fairly warm. I was sitting outside on the lawn, watching the horses and the dogs and just thinking about how beautiful it all was. For a moment, I missed living there more than anything - but only for a moment. So, I have decided that I am going to write about all the things that happened to me in that house. Not everything that happened in my life while I lived there, just things I remember from living there. And these are just the major things!



1) When we moved in, there were no mirrors or door knobs, and no phone lines. I was 15 and had a long-term boyfriend, so of course I hated it. I hated moving in general, because I thought SO much had happened to me at our other house. Needless to say, it took a year or so, but I eventually called 7 Country Farm Lane "home".
2) The Halloween Party I threw my junior year of high school. We just had food and music and watched horror movies, but there were about 15-20 people there, and it was fun. Mainly, my current crush, *E*, came and I remember Sam pulling me into the back room and telling me that he liked me.
3) My first kiss with the first person I ever truly fell in love with(*E*, of course)
4) My surprise 16th birthday party (even if I wasn't totally surprised by it).
5) The scary phone call I got the end of November of my junior year, when I was home alone, from the person who sounded like the guy from Scream. Never did find out who that was, but it was definitely pretty freaky.
6) The "I think I love you" incident with *E*. (Who does that? Spends two days building it up, then instead of saying "I love you" for the first time, says "I think I love you?" Haha, funny times.)
7) Walking home from school with kids from my neighborhood...synchronized walking, our swear "hfck", making up names for everyone in the Delian League, the Swedish Gift Shop, and of course the Hound of the Baskervilles!
8) My first horse (and the only one I ever owned), Val, our first barn, and all that other horsey stuff!

9) New Year's Eve 1998-1999, the little party at my house, the guys putting on Sam's hooker boots, making a mess with confetti, breaking the air hockey table, my first New Year's Eve kiss ever...
10) Getting ready and taking pictures for two proms and two Snowballs...

11) The first time my heart was ever broken.
12) Standing at the corner of Olde Farm and Pinney with my "brothers" and sisters, talking about "angel hair".
13) Late night, hours-long conversations online with my "Neighborhood Boyfriend", on the ghetto computer in our scary basement. (These were during the summers of 1999 and 2000.)
14) CHRISTY AND THE ATTACK OF THE CHECK MARKS and STEUEBENVILLE--writing them, rehearsing them, putting them on...

15) Nights in Neighborhood Boyfriend's clubhouse (both the Summer of '99 and the Summer of '00)...the vacuum cleaner, his masturbating dog, the thunder storm, etc...
16) The "Maid of the Mist" project (a film of us camping in the fields behind my house, looking for the supposed ghost, a.k.a. the "Maid of the Mist", that exists on my parents former farm)...which never really happened, haha.
17) ATV rides in the cornfields (okay, that one is a little out of place, but there were so many of them).
18) Chasing illegal snowmobilers off our land.
19) Thanksgivings, Christmas Eves, Christmases, Easters, birthdays...all of those wonderful holidays that feel so much more wonderful when you're in your own home...
20) New Years Eve 2000--the millenium--playing pool with Chad and watching the fireworks that Mike and Neighborhood Boyfriend set off (after getting home from a real party, of course...haha)
21) Having all my friends over my house to swim during the end of our senior year...even the times where certain people's tops kept coming off!
22) Sneaking out of the house for the first time (and many times after that)...and of course usually with Sam.
23) Sunday night X-Files with Judith and KT during our freshman year of college.
24) All the times Jenna slept over my house.
25) All the going away parties I threw...seriously, I had like three.
26) Coming home to everything beautiful and familiar after being away for months on end...
27) Watching scary movies with my "brothers" (we never did find a truly scary movie)
28) Mike (a friend from the neighborhood) coming over and hanging out in our pantry (the pantry was never the same when he wasn't sitting on the stool in it, gazing in awe at the size of the pantry itself, and the amount of food in it...haha). Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment