Saturday, October 29, 2011

Book Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I have to be honest - for quite some time I've assumed that The Help was overrated.

I mean, so many friends kept telling me that I needed to read it. But I heard the same thing about Twilight and God help me, that series of books was the worst thing I've ever forced myself to read.

That's besides the point, though - because The Help was - is - amazing. It has been a long time since I was this engrossed in a book. I literally couldn't put it down. It was beautiful. Numerous times I found myself tearing up. Sometimes I felt sick with anger. This novel was not at all overrated - it's one of the best books I've ever read. I will admit that there are a few inaccuracies that seemed unnecessary, and of course Ms. Stockett being white and attempting to write in/with an African American voice is a bit off-putting (especially at first). But the edition I read also included an afterward where she explained some of her past and why she wrote this novel the way she did, which helped me understand just a bit more and be more inclined to give it a rating of 4.5/5 stars.


"...that's the way prayer do. It's like electricity, it keeps things going."

"See, I think if God had intended for white people and colored people to be this close together for so much of the day, he would've made us color-blind."

"That's all a grit is, a vehicle. For whatever it is you rather be eating."

"I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it."

"Mississippi is like my mother. I am allowed to complain about her all I want, but God help the person who raises an ill word about her around me, unless she is their mother too."

"...trying to understand is vital to our humanity." Pin It

2 comments:

  1. i, too, wanted to hate the help.

    i really dont like anything oprah likes, on principle. and this book just blew my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! If you get a chance watch the movie, it is one of the rare movies that stays close the book and have some tissues handy!!

    ReplyDelete