Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Home Renovations 103

I haven't written anything about our house on this blog, which is sad. Because when Steve and I moved to South Carolina we bought a home that needs/needed...work. A lot had already been done, but most of it was cosmetic. And our house is kind of big, but in an awkward way.

Take, for instance, the "solarium". This pointless room counts toward our square footage and was Home Renovations 101, as we had to spend months trying to figure out how to dig out all of the dead plans and musty dirt that it housed.
First attempt to excavate the "solarium"
To this day, we're still not sure who in the world thought it would be a good idea to fill this closed-in, airless space (which gets little natural sunlight as it's smack in the middle of our house) with dirt and plants. Needless to say, we finished getting the dirt out (thanks to my husband's ingenious invention involving a giant black tube and a leaf blower on reverse) in the summer of 2010...and have done nothing with this room since. Because we have no idea WHAT to do with it.

Anyway, on to the second project that we undertook - because we really had no other choice. You see, this was the front door we had when we moved in in the fall of 2009:
Yes, that's a stream/creek thing running under our house.
That front door was wood. And over the course of a year and a half the already rotting base got worse and worse until we had a good inch/inch and a half of open space between the floor and the bottom of the door. Not. Good. So we saved up money and favors and finally replaced it with this beauty toward the end of June of this year:
Seriously, the perfect door for our, err, "modern" home
And that was Home Renovations 102.

Which brings us to Home Renovations 103 - the bar.

You see, all of those awkward rooms mean that we get to have some FUN with this house :) And if you look back up to the photo of our original door, you'll see a room that is built over the creek. That bank of windows to the right of the door (as you look at the picture). For a while my sister lived with us and that was her "living room", but she moved out this past April. We always knew we wanted to build a bar in our house, and probably in that very room - but now we've finally actually started working toward that goal!

(If you can't tell, I'm super excited.)

We spent Sunday mapping out some ideas with masking tape on the floor, and on Monday we purchased access to The Easy Home Bar Plans website. For only $20 you get access to all of their bar plans, which we were a bit surprised to find very detailed. And while Steve worked on some software to mock up some designs, I combined the measurements we took of the room with the measurements from some of the plans and created my own little drawing!
Look at those drafting skills! Impressive, no?
I know that most of you probably have no idea what the point of this drawing is, and I also realize that are EXTREMELY approximate...please give me some credit, though! I may have aced drafting in 7th grade but that was about 16 years ago ;)

So this gives us a decent sized bar and still leaves about...I would say about 2/5 of the room as open space for a high-top table and who knows what else. I'm being optimistic and hoping we'll have this done by my birthday in December...or at least by the end of the year. Steve on the other hand is being pessimistic, so I guess what it all depends on is our ability to focus and get the work done.

Shit, who am I kidding, that doesn't make our chances of finishing this in a timely manner good at all...haha. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen any other pictures of your house before! I had no idea it was over a stream or the middle bit had a weird dirted up room originally. Or that you even owned a house. Haha. Wow, I'm behind in the times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun project! I once saw some house redo show that did a bar and more went into it than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sandy - I have some pictures of my house on FB but they're in a really old album. Up to now that's one of very few places I've posted pictures of it because I'm a bit wary of posting detailed pictures of my home in public internet areas. So you're not totally behind the times :)

    Stacy - I was actually surprised that it's as easy as it is! I mean, it's a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but I was worried we'd have to order expensive special cabinets and counter and blah blah blah...I was more worried about the cost than the work itself, and it appears that the cost is negligible if you DO the work yourself, which is nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so once you finally get that bar up and running there better be some sort of barwarming party

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to comment from work today, but we have like...IE4 or something and it never works.

    ANYWAY - I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I love, love, LOVE that your house is situated over a stream. If we ever move out of the city, I want a place like that - I guess I either want straight urban or super-nature :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Marty - you know it! The question is, will you be there? ;)

    @PhillyGirl - see, what I love about our house is that we have a yard and it's very naturally situated, BUT it's 5 miles from downtown! We literally don't have to drive more than 10-15 minutes (depending on traffic) to get ANYWHERE, and if we want to go out cab rides to downtown never cost more than $15. It's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now that I've got a job there's a good chance that I will be

    ReplyDelete