Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: The best sandwich...EVER?!



My "to be posted" recipe files are so backed up that I should really be thinning those down some before posting newer meals...but this one was so freaking delicious that I just couldn't wait :)

I found the "idea" for this sandwich on Pinterest, but there was no recipe attached. So I took the general ingredients and ran with them, and what came out was possibly the best dinner sandwich I've ever "made up". So without further ado, I bring you the utterly amazing...

"GRILLED" CAPRESE SANDWICH

Italian bread, sliced
Extra Virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Fresh mozzarella, sliced into approximately 1/4" thick slices
Roma tomato(es), sliced
Basil Pesto

-For each sandwich, take two slices of bread. Layer mozzarella slices and tomato slices on one piece of bread, and spread the other piece with a general amount of basil pesto.
-Heat a pan on the stove top and add about 1 tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon balsamic vinegar; gently place the sandwich in the pan with the mozzarella side down first (to help the cheese melt better).
-Cook 3-5 minutes and remove sandwich from the pan. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and another teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and put the sandwich back in the pan, this time with the pesto side down. Cook another 3-4 minutes.
(As a note, you may want to push the sandwich around the pan a bit to make sure that the bread gets nice and "saturated" with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar)

Seriously, go eat this now. As you can probably tell from the picture above, I took a bite out of it because I couldn't wait to try it and almost forgot about the whole picture thing.

Oh, and for dessert...

:) :) :)
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum :) I will need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. capreses really made me like tomatoes. looks like a good sandwich.

    ReplyDelete