Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Egg Nog Lattes


So I know how everyone just rants and raves about Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Don't get me wrong, they're not terrible...but I just don't "get it". I don't understand why they're so popular. I much prefer the dark horse of the Starbucks holiday drinks...the egg nog latte. The one where, when you order it, the barista looks at you with a mixture of shock, disgust, and reverence. Where he or she has to bite his or her tongue to keep from asking, "Are you sure you want that one?"

I don't get why people are always hating on egg nog. Of course it's one of those things where too much of it is way too much of it. I mean, it's made of eggs and milk and sugar and very, very fattening blah blah blah. But it's freaking delicious and it reminds me of Christmas, which is my second favorite holiday (Halloween being my first). Plus you can make all sorts of mixed drinks with it (I'll post recipes for those next month, promise).

But today isn't about mixed drinks made with egg nog...today is about egg nog lattes and how to make them at home. Because they're delicious and you should try one.
Obviously they look much better when you steam/froth the egg nog using an espresso machine.
Of course the easiest way is to go buy some egg nog, make some non-flavored coffee, and - using a cappuccino or espresso maker (or a microwave if you don't have either of those) - steam/heat your egg nog. Pour a mug of coffee, top with the egg nog, sprinkle a tiny bit of nutmeg, and taste to see whether or not you need sugar (I don't, when I'm using store-bought egg nog - homemade is a different story).

Now, here is the recipe I use when I make my own egg nog. It does come out a lot later than the store-bought stuff, which doesn't much matter to me but may matter to those of you who claim you don't like egg nog because it's too thick or some bullshit. This recipe doesn't yield a HUGE amount of egg nog, but you can easily double it.

3 eggs
1.5 cups milk
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

-Add the eggs to a large bowl and beat (preferably using an electric mixer, but whatever.)
-Slowly mix in the milk, then the sugar.
-Continue beating until the mixture thickens slightly (a couple minutes or so).
-Add the vanilla extract and the nutmeg. At this point you should cover the mixture and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, but I've found that when you're making the lattes this isn't quite as necessary because you're steaming/heating it and that will help the ingredients "mesh" together as well.

Again, when I make my own egg nog and use it for lattes I do usually have to add a little extra sugar to my coffee for whatever reason. Regardless, these babies are still delicious and doing it at home is way way waaaaay cheaper than buying them at Starbucks (no surprise there). So go make yourself an egg nog latte and stop whining about how you don't like egg nog.
;)
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Nice post. I'll have to try one of these. I do like regular egg nog, but I can't say that I have ever had it in latte form.

    Way to stick up for what you believe in :-p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I frickin' love egg nog. And yet for some reason I don't think I've had an egg nog latte at Starbucks. I tend to flame out on the Pumpkin Spice lattes by end of November and then I'm pretty much done w/SB for the year.

    That said, I'm kinda craving a pumpkin spice latte right now...

    ReplyDelete