Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Ye Olde Facebook Gems

I'll come right out and say it: there's a lot I don't like about the new Facebook. I have the Developer profile (a.k.a. the one that allows you to have that big banner on top, and blocks off your updates side by side rather than listing them in the order they're posted) and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. What I *do* like is that they've made it easier to go back through your Facebook history. Not surprisingly, I found some great gems that kept me in giggles for quite a bit of time :)

For instance, remember when most people insisted on typing their statuses in the third person? I'm talking about when statuses were first introduced (sometime around September 2006...or at least that's when I started posting mine) and they automatically inserted the word "is" after your name. My very first Facebook status was so very trite: "Tara is nervous about her job interview this afternoon!"

In those first few weeks of Facebook status updates, I made quite a few awesome ::sarcasm:: statements. "Tara is...
...off to visit her parents in SC for a couple days!
...hungover from the wedding she attended yesterday.
...wishing she had time for a nap."

I could go on. Seriously. But I won't torture you like that.

Of course, for some reason Facebook also felt the need to show me some of the weird/silly/pointless and random posts that others made on my wall. I particularly loved this one from my dear middle sister, posted in December 2007: "tara when you get this go to ur myspace i sent u a message its important ho!"

Let's ignore the text speak and grammatical errors and focus on the fact that she was posting on my Facebook, telling me to look at my MySpace page. Yeah.

Now, my birthday in 2007 kind of sucked. My best friend was coming to visit and her flight got canceled, so she didn't make it until the day after my birthday. It was a Thursday and there wasn't much going on where I lived...plus I didn't really know that many people. Thank you Facebook, for saving all four of my shitty birthday statuses from that year: "Tara...
...is excited that her birthday is this week!!!
...is singing...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!
...hates birthdays.
...is thanking everyone for the birthday wishes!

Yeah, I'm blaming the fact that it was my 25th and I was absolutely going through a quarter life crisis.

Skip forward to 2008 and Facebook has me married to my husband...err...we didn't get married until last year. But apparently when I switched our status from "in a relationship" to "married", it kept our anniversary as September 20th, 2008 (the date we officially became a couple). I guess if Facebook wants us to have been married from the day we started dating, I'll just go with it.

Or maybe I'll fix that one. The jury's still out. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious!! I remember the days of myspace....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I *still* write my statuses in third person. :)

    ReplyDelete