Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Quick, Easy & Delicious Beef Stew

Let's get one thing straight: This is not a food blog. I love to cook, I believe that I am a good cook, I love to try new recipes and new foods, and I love to share all the amazing recipes that I inevitably find. But if I were to feel forced to take pictures of every step of my cooking process it would bog me down. Honestly half the time I'm lucky to remember to take a picture of the finished product ;) What I really hope is for people to see recipes that I've shared, think they're interesting, and be able to easily copy and paste my text into an email or a word doc for printing/saving purposes.

Also, I will only ever cite recipes or link back to where I found them if I changed absolutely nothing about the recipe itself. You will rarely see me cite or link back because I almost always fiddle with recipes, even if I've never made them before. After all, recipes are more like guidelines, anyway ;) I will never post something on here unless I've made it and know that it's a quality meal...Promise!

So without further ado...I actually found this recipe in an airline magazine on our recent trip to Idaho. I definitely tore it out and brought it home, though yes, I did change it up just a BIT. It's a fairly quick and easy beef stew recipe and it's very tasty :)

MAPLE BOURBON BEEF STEW

¾ cup bourbon
1/3 cup maple syrup
6 – 8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
approx. 1.5 pounds cubed beef (I buy the sirloin stew beef cubes – the good stuff!)
Olive oil
4-5 cups white onions, sliced (approx. 1.5 large onions)
32 oz beef broth
2 cups water
8 oz egg noodles
4 cups spinach/baby spinach (loose – not packed – and fresh)
Green onions, sliced (for garnish)


-MARINATE THE STEAK FOR AT LEAST 8 HOURS.

-To do so, combine the bourbon, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the steak, toss to coat, cover and leave in the refrigerator. Drain the steak through a sieve and reserve the marinade when ready to cook.

-Coat the bottom of a large stock pot with a thin layer of olive oil and heat on medium-high. Add the beef and cook until browned, approx. 8 minutes. Make sure to move the cubes around and flip them so that they are evenly browned!

-Remove the beef from the pan and set aside on a plate, then re-coat the bottom with a fresh layer of olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 5-6 minutes.

-Stir in the marinade that you set aside, then add the beef broth and water. Bring to a boil and add the egg noodles; cook for 8 minutes.

-Stir in the steak and spinach and cook about 4-5 more minutes, until the spinach is wilted.

-Season with salt and pepper as desired and garnish with the sliced green onions to serve!

Oh hey, by the way...I've added a "Pin It" button to my blog posts! So if you see a recipe or something that you want to save, just make sure you're signed into Pinterest and click the button! :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment