Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Star Wars Marathon, Part 1

This past Saturday we finally set aside the time to have another Star Wars marathon. I had so much fun planning a themed menu for our Lord of the Rings marathon back in December that I decided to do it again, so I did some research and found Star Wars themed recipes to try :) Unfortunately they're *really* just regular recipes with funny Star Wars names, because Star Wars simply isn't as food-centric as Lord of the Rings...but still, I was able to find these somewhat "themed" dishes and play with the recipes enough to make them all tasty!

First things first, we knew we had to start the marathon by 11 AM. I was up and at 'em bright and early to take the dogs for a run (knowing that they'd I'd be lazy all day), shower, and don my "I Am the Rebel Spy" t-shirt from Star Tours in Disney World. Now, I wasn't able to find any breakfast-type recipes...but you know what, I'm 29 years old and I can eat what I want for breakfast. So I had cake.

DARTH MAUL-TED CAKE
...to be exact.
1 package yellow cake mix (and the ingredients required to make the cake)
3/4 cup malted milk powder
1 can prepared chocolate frosting (I used milk chocolate because I prefer it, but a darker colored frosting would have looked awesome to go with the Darth Maul theme of the cake!)
Red cake decorating frosting

-Preheat oven and prepare cake according to package directions, adding 1/2 cup of the malted milk powder before mixing the batter. Bake according to directions as well :)
-Stir remaining 1/4 cup malted milk powder in with the frosting. Once the cake has cooled, frost and decorate it as you desire!


As you can see I tried to decorate my cake. The general idea was for it to look sort of like the designs on Darth Maul's face...but I'm not a cake decorator. At all. Still, at least I tried, right? :)

Of course, cake by itself wasn't enough for us, so Steve mixed up some Blue Milk! Honestly, no recipe needed for this because it's just what it sounds like: milk and blue food coloring. More for fun than anything else.

Of course we watch the movies in chronological order - that being, Episode I: The Phantom Menace first, followed by Episode II: Attack of the Clones and then Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. We even started a little game while watching the first movie - originally it was "count how many lightsabers fall into bottomless pits" but eventually it just became "count how many lightsabers are destroyed". This is a big deal because according to general Star Wars information, lightsabers are really difficult to build. Yet the Jedi are constantly losing them!

Watching Episodes II and III also included a lot of moans and groans re: the Anakin and Padme relationship. Because their dialogue is beyond terrible, and the love story itself is just...not portrayed well. I mean come on. "Truly. Deeply. I love you." God, it's worse than a 90s pop/love song. Needless to say, we were more than happy to finally move on to the original trilogy!

Buuut...I have so many recipes to share with you that I'll include one more, and then you'll have to stay tuned for Part 2 of our Star Wars Marathon ;)

C3PO POTATO SALAD

Olive oil
3 large white baking potatoes, cubed
4 small red potatoes, cubed
1 sweet potato, cubed
2 cinnamon sticks
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 hard boiled eggs, cooled & diced
2 large stalks of celery, diced
6 small to medium sized green onions, sliced
3 heaping tablespoons dill relish
1 cup mayonnaise
2 heaping tablespoons honey mustard


-Put the cubed red and white potatoes into a large saucepan/pot and add just enough cold water to cover. Heat on "high" until the water starts boiling and allow to boil for 6-8 minutes, testing the potatoes with a fork to make sure they are tender.
-In a separate saucepan, add the cubed sweet potato and the cinnamon sticks with just enough cold water to cover and cook in the same manner as above.
-When the potatoes are cooled add them to a large bowl with all of the other ingredients and mix well!

I'm honestly not a HUGE potato salad fan, but this recipe intrigued me and yes, it did turn out pretty good! Though I honestly cut the recipe by about 1/3 (yes, those cuts ARE reflected in the recipe posted above!) and it still made WAY too much potato salad. Seriously, at this rate we'll be eating the stuff for a week. Or until it goes bad, which will probably come first...haha.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment