Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thirsty Thursday and my love for Beer

This entry came to me as I was trying to fall asleep the other night, and to be honest I'm not sure if fully-awake Tara can do justice to the absolutely random thoughts I was having...but I'm going to try ;)

Like so many people (especially girls - let's not lie, ladies), I didn't think that I liked beer when I first, you know, started drinking. I want to say the first beer I actually drank was Budweiser. You know, Bud Red. I drank it when I'd already been drinking and didn't love it, but didn't hate it...and then when I had beer as a sort of "first drink" one night, I just couldn't make myself drink it. But again...Bud Red.

Until the Walt Disney World college program came around and I was making a mere $6 an hour. Once the giant bottle of Jim Beam that our neighbors gave us as a welcome present was gone, we had to rely on practically nonexistent paychecks and good friends to get us through.

Enter THE BEAST.

Milwaukee's Best Light, that is.

I honestly looked high and low for a picture of me with a can of Beast in my hand, but the only ones I can find also picture people with whom I'm no longer in contact (including Ex...ugh), so I'll forego that and talk about the inevitable post-college "I'm no longer QUITE as broke as I was a few months ago" switch to Miller Lite. And you know, even though my Beast phase lasted a good 3+ years...my love affair with Miller Lite beat it out at around 4.5+ years. I did cheat on Miller once in a while, usually with Corona, but I always went back to my old friend.

The thing about Miller Lite is that it doesn't taste as bad as Bud Light; also, you can drink a whole shit ton of it because it's barely more than water in regards to its alcohol content.
I mean, you can drink it for something like 8 hours while you clean the house you are about to move into.
...and of course, you can take totally classy pictures like this with this, pictures you would never take if you were drinking a Stella Artois, mind you.
And I guess it's good enough that sometimes when you're having a party you need to keep it a secret that you even HAVE Miller Lite and hide it from the other party-goers.
Not to mention, it's perfect when you need 14 cans of it to drink at a NASCAR race.
But finally, finally, there came a day when I realized that I had the funds to drink whatever kind of beer I wanted (well...within reason, of course - I'm not buying that Sam Adams Utopias or anything)...and since then a whole new world has unfolded before my very eyes taste buds. I've already posted about how much I love using Untappd to keep track of the beers I try, and the fact of the matter is that I've tried and loved so many different types of beer since the fall of 2008 I've only touched poor old Miller Lite once, when I took Steve to a NASCAR race for his 30th birthday.

Instead, I order samplers at restaurants whenever possible.

I visit local breweries and fall in love with amazing microbrews.

I go to baseball games and pay just $1 more per cup to enjoy Yuengling. Lots and lots of Yuengling.

And I go on vacation and try as many new brews as possible.
Enjoying an impromptu stop at a beer festival in Berlin, Germany
Trdlos and Czech Rebels in Prague, Czech Republic

House Weissbier at a cafe in the Sachsenhausen district in Frankfurt, Germany
Ninkasi Believer Double Red Ale in Sun Valley, Idaho
So yeah, I drink a lot of beer, but often it's just to enjoy the taste of a brew that's new to me. I never drank a Beast (ha!) or a Miller Lite just to enjoy the taste, that's for sure.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This post made me giggle...not sure why. lol :) Glad you're so happy!

    I have a Thankful Thursday link-up if you'd like to join there :)

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely went through beer phases too. It's Budweiser country here in St. Louis so you wouldn't be allowed Miller here (heh) but we have had something like 6+ craft breweries open just since I've lived here, so the beer scene is hopping (pun intended!) here right now.

    Currently I'm a huge fan of IPA's and Matt has been into stouts. We just paid $20 for a bomber of Mexican chocolate stout that is ah-may-zing.

    ReplyDelete