Saturday, February 11, 2012

But it's so PRETTY!

Well, it's been a while since I posted a recipe and for that, I'm sorry! I honestly cook at least 4 or 5 nights a week (and we eat leftovers the rest of the time, usually - we rarely go out to eat), and I'm pretty good about taking pictures of my meals...it's just sitting my butt down and typing the recipe into my blog that's a problem, I suppose ;)

Aaaanyway. Today's recipe originated from Stacy at Every Little Thing, but from what I remember she didn't have the best results with/from it, and I can't find it in her recipe index...plus I made a couple of [minor] changes...so I don't feel bad posting it here rather than doing a link-back.

SAUTEED CHICKEN & RADISHES IN MUSTARD SAUCE

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (please, please buy the all-natural, hormone free SMALL chicken breasts)
Salt (coarse/kosher) & Pepper (fresh-ground)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
Olive oil
1/2 of a shallot, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon (max!) chopped fresh tarragon
approx. 20 radishes, trimmed and halved/quartered (depending on the size of them)


- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet with a thin layer of the olive oil, over medium-high heat.

- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Saute until browned and cooked through. If you use small or small-medium chicken breasts (4-6 oz each) they will take 5 to 7 minutes per side.

- Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.

- Add the shallot to the same skillet and stir over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Add the wine to the skillet, then the broth; bring to a boil. Whisk in the mustard and chopped tarragon; boil until the sauce thickens enough to coat the spoon lightly and is reduced to about 1/2 cup (this will take about 5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 tablespoon butter and set aside.

- While the sauce is reducing, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet with a thin layer of the olive oil, over medium-high heat. Add the radishes and sprinkle with the coarse/fresh ground salt and pepper.

- Cook without stirring until the radishes begin to brown (about 3 minutes). After the first few minutes, continue to cook the radishes until they are crisp outside (but still tender inside!) - making sure to stir occasionally! This will take about another 5 minutes or so, depending on how you have cut up the radishes.

- Serve the chicken breasts whole, over white rice, topped with the radishes and some of the shallot & mustard sauce :)

As you can see from the picture, this meal is very pretty! The reddish-purple radishes make it so, of course. It's also a fairly "light" dish and we really really enjoyed it.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. oooooh the radishes. it was definitely a good meal but i burned the heck out of the radishes! i think you can't find it because i still haven't added all my old recipes to recipage yet, but it's coming. thanks for linking anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I remember that now. I looked for it to give you a link-back but also I changed the terragon, oil, and I think some of the cooking times so when I couldn't find it I figured I'd put it up. We did really enjoy it but it is a LOT of work all at once...not hard but man do you have to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete