CHEESY CHICKEN & BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE
2 cups uncooked medium grain brown rice
3 cups broccoli florets (fresh)
¼ cup sliced green onions
4 small chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Garlic powder, salt and pepper for seasoning the chicken
½ tsp pepper (for the sauce)
1 tsp salt (for the sauce)
¼ tsp Garlic powder (for the sauce)
5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (I use 2%)
1/3 cup sour cream
12 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the rice according to the package directions but substitute the water for chicken broth. When the rice has 5-7 minutes left until fully cooked, add the broccoli and the green onions into the pot to steam.
- Season the chicken chunks with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook about 7-8 minutes, or until done. Remove to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- Turn the heat down to medium and in the skillet, whisk together the flour and ½ cup of the milk. Gradually add the remaining 1 ½ cups milk, whisking constantly, until the mixture is boiling. Turn off the heat and add 8 oz. of the shredded cheese and all of the sour cream. Stir until smooth and season with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Make sure to mix well.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray and combine the cooked rice/broccoli/green onion mixture with the chicken and cheese sauce in the dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheddar and broil (keeping an eye on it!) approx. 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Anyway, I promise that I'll have a different type of recipe next time! As I mentioned last week, I'm *super* backed up posting recipes on here and I'm trying to be somewhat organized about getting them out of the way and kind of failing miserably, haha. I never said organization was one of my strong points ;)