SWEET & SPICY MEATLOAF MUFFINS
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed into small pieces (no more than 1/4")
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1.5 lbs lean ground beef
1 onion (small-ish), finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, PLUS 1 tsp of the sauce
6 tbsp PLUS 1 tsp ketchup
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the sweet potato about 3 minutes. Drain.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, beef, egg, onion, cilantro, chipotles, adobo sauce, 2 tbsp PLUS 1 tsp ketchup, minced garlic, a heaping tsp of salt and a dash of black pepper in a large bowl. Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Fold the sweet potato chunks into the beef mixture and then divide it evenly among the greased muffin cups, packing well. Hollow out the center, add 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar and cover the cheese back up with the meatloaf mixture.
- Spread the remaining 4 tablespoons of ketchup evenly over the tops of the "muffins". Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet and bake 40 minutes.
BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES
(note that these cook at the same temp and for the same amount of time as the meatloaf muffins!)
1 sweet potato for every 2 people you are serving
Sea salt & Fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp Onion powder *for every potato*
2 tsp Garlic powder *for every potato*
- Chop your sweet potatoes into french-fry style slices and put them in a large bowl.
- Coat well with olive oil, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Spread the fries on a baking tray and grind sea salt and black pepper evenly over them. This is really to YOUR taste; personally I prefer a not-so-healthy dose of salt and a bare sprinkle of black pepper but to each his or her own ;)
If you want to serve these fries with a sauce, I highly suggest mixing about 1/2 cup ketchup with maybe 1/8 cup chili sauce, then adding a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and whisking/stirring until the sugar is basically dissolved. It's a great sweet and salty sauce to go with the sweet and salty fries!