Friday, April 20, 2012

Family History Friday: The Funny Names Edition

Oh, New England WASPs. The farther back I went on my ancestry.com family tree, the more ridiculous the names became. Well, either they were more ridiculous...or more simple. But the latter aren't very funny, so I'm sharing with you some of the better ones I stumbled upon...

From my tree:
Annis Chickering
Experience Sabin
Mercy Angell
Comfort Fish
Freeborn Moulton
Experience Leland
Freelove Seamans

From Steve's tree:
Experience Freeman
Freeman Gross
Experience Aldrich
Waitstill Rhodes
Azubah Pease

As you can see, they really loved the name "Experience" back in the day. I'm also amused by all of the "Freemans" and "Freeborns", but I suppose that's to be expected considering we're talking about people who were fleeing religious persecution and all.

Still, Comfort Fish and Freelove Seamans take the cake. I imagine they looked something like this...

Yeah, I don't know, I wanted to include a picture and felt like playing with Paint for the first time in something like 15 years.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Comfort fish. How funny! And I like Annis Chickening too.

    My family is all from Ireland and Europe- but the Irish half of my heritage came into the US in New Orleans, and somehow ended up in the county an hour north. They were among the founders of Solvang, CA and the county that I currently reside in, they helped build as well. My dad just found out and he had moved down here by coincidence.

    But we have no funny names.... :(

    ReplyDelete