Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fictional Characters that begin with the letter "P"

I have a locked/friends-only personal journal as well as this one, and yesterday a friend posted a little meme and asked people to volunteer to participate. Well...as it fits with the theme of this blog as well, I figured I'd cross-post it :) (Plus, yeah, that makes it easier on me. haha)

1. Comment on this post with I VOLUNTEER!
2. I will give you a letter.
3. Think of 5 fictional characters and post their names and your comments on these characters in your blog.

I was given the letter "P".

1) Podrick Payne from the Song of Ice & Fire series.

source
Oh, Pod. Where do I begin? Honestly I didn't think twice about him until the end of Clash of Kings. I figured he was just a minor character created to be the brunt of Tyrion Lannister's snark. I don't want to say too much and then have to deal with spoiler-alerting everyone, but let's just say that good ol' Pod turns out to be way cooler than you'll think at first. If you read the series, he's definitely worth keeping an eye on, and I'm hoping that they give him the part he deserves in the show as well.

2) Peregrin Took a.k.a. Pippin from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Pippin is not amused. source
I love me some Merry and Pippin. Of course I couldn't choose Merry for this meme because, well, his name doesn't start with the letter "P". But really, what's not to love about hobbits and what's not to love about this hobbit in particular? He loves smoking his pipe weed and drinking his ale, but he's also a loyal friend. And he's funny. Pippin (and Merry, sorry, can't leave him out because they really come as a pair) are probably my two favorite Lord of the Rings characters. I mean, Aragorn is awesome, but he's just so SERIOUS.

This quote sums up Pippin so well, and honestly at the moment - with some personal things that are going on in my life - it means a lot to me, too: "I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse."

3. Peeves the Poltergeist from Harry Potter

source
I'm sorry, but they screwed up by not having Peeves in the Harry Potter movies. They did. Peeves is freaking hilarious. He provides plenty of comic entertainment that was either cut entirely or given to other characters (including ones that didn't exist in the books - do we even need to talk about that awful shrunken head in the Knight Bus???) He has dozens of laugh-out-loud worthy quotes, and how funny would it have been to see this in the movie adaptation of Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix? -->

"But not even the users of the Snackboxes could compete with that master of chaos, Peeves, who seemed to have taken Fred's parting words deeply to heart. Cackling madly, he soared through the school, upending tables, bursting out of blackboards, toppling statues and vases; twice he shut Mrs Norris inside a suit of armour from which she was rescued, yowling loudly, by the furious caretaker. Peeves smashed lanterns and snuffed out candles, juggled burning torches over the heads of screaming students, caused neatly stacked piles of parchment to topple into fires or out of windows; flooded the second floor when he pulled off all the taps in the bathrooms, dropped a bad of tarantulas in the middle of the Great Hall during breakfast and, whenever he fancied a break, spent hours at a time floating along after Umbridge and blowing loud raspberries every time she spoke."

4) PROXY from the Star Wars: Force Unleashed video game

source
Yeah, how's this for an obscure character? Honestly though, when playing Force Unleashed I just couldn't help but be amused by PROXY. Droid could use holograms to look like tons of other creatures, and he was trained with a lightsaber. He ran around with Starkiller, but then once in a while he'd also turn around and try to kill his master. And maybe I'm just a bad person, but I found this totally amusing. I mean come on, it resulted in lines like this: "I had hoped using an older training module would catch you offguard and allow me to finally kill you. I'm sorry I failed you again, Master."

5) Patchface from the Song of Ice & Fire series

source
I both love Patchface...and loathe him. I mean...he's creepy as all get out. His face is tattooed in red and green motley. He's described as "soft and obese" and is subject to "twitches and trembles". Oh, and he walks sideways. I picture it being like a crab. ::shudders:: His antler/bucket helmet amuses me because I take it as a dig on either the Baratheons in general or Stannis in particular. I find it sweet that poor Shireen is so attached to him, but at the same time I find it worrisome because again, he's creepy.

The fact that he makes some fairly intelligent comments drives me crazy because I feel as if I can never know whether he's just rambling...or making a prophecy/prediction! My favorite so far is this gem: "Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye."

Hope you enjoyed this! If you read my blog and have your own and want a letter, feel free to comment with "I VOLUNTEER!" :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment