Thursday, April 5, 2012

Game of Thrones Marathon, Part 1

Disclaimer: All recipes contained herein were adapted from recipes found at Inn at the Crossroads

Let me just start by saying that Sunday was not the best day of the week for a marathon like this. Because, you know, it involved drinking. But it couldn't be helped, you know...what better time to do a Game of Thrones marathon than leading up to the premiere of the second season?

Also, nothing could be more awesome than starting one's day with this epic music...

Now...I had always planned on starting by 11 AM and in fact was able to start episode 1, Winter is Coming, about ten or fifteen minutes early...with "Breakfast at Winterfell", of course!


"There was much more than she'd asked for: hot bread, butter and honey and blackberry preserves, a rasher of bacon and a soft-boiled egg, a wedge of cheese, a pot of mint tea. And with came Maester Luwin." (Game of Thrones)


Breakfast at Winterfell

Egg(s)
Thick-cut bacon
Rustic Bread (I used organic whole wheat from Whole Foods)
Butter, honey, blackberry preserves
Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
 
- Cook the bacon as usual, slice up the cheddar, warm the loaf of bread in the oven.
- Spread the bread with the butter, drizzle with honey, then spread it with the preserves.
- I hard boiled my egg because I'm not a big runny egg yolk fan. Basically put your egg(s) in a small saucepan and fill to cover with cold water. Set on stove top and turn the burner on high until the water begins to boil. Once this happens, remove the pan from the burner and turn the heat down to simmer (like, the lowest of the low) and let sit for about 10 minutes. There are a million sites with instructions to hard boil eggs so all I can say is that this worked for me :)
- Fill up your plate with your bacon, cheese, bread and egg and chow down! (With mint tea if you like, which I don't - or if you want to be just as authentic, you could have a mug of good dark beer a la Tyrion Lannister!)


And then I settled in to watch a few episodes! Just before I stopped to put together my lunch, though, I panicked a bit. I was looking at the clock and thinking there was no way I would finish on time unless I didn't pause the show at all! And this was when I thought that the season two premiere was starting at ten...when in fact it started at nine! Phew. But I needed to eat my "Sansa Salad"!

Of course...it was a late lunch, and what's better than a late lunch with a glass of "Sweetwine"!

"Garin reined up beneath the willow. 'Wake up, you fish-eyed lagabeds,' he called as he leapt down from the saddle. 'Your queen is here, and wants her royal welcome. Come up, come out, we’ll have some songs and sweetwine.'"(Feast for Crows)

Mead on the left, Sweetwine on the right!
"All the while the courses came and went. A thick soup of barley and venison. Salads of sweetgrass, spinach, and plus, sprinkled with crushed nuts." (Game of Thrones)


SANSA SALAD

Baby spinach
Coarsely chopped pecans
Sliced green onions
Diced prunes
Raspberry Vinaigrette

- Spread a large handful (or two) of baby spinach on a plate, top with 2-3 sliced green onions and small handfuls of the pecans and prunes. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and you're good to go!
(And yes, I changed this a bit from the description, because I already had the prunes and they're just dried plums anyway...and I looked high and low for lemongrass and couldn't find it :-/)


My lunch was as delicious as my breakfast, though I wasn't too keen on the "sweetwine" (which was basically a red Greek dessert wine). It was good for what it was, but it was so thick it just sat on my tongue and so sugary that more than one glass definitely would have given me a raging stomachache.

As I finished lunch I was also partway through episode 5, The Wolf and the Lion, and feeling better about my timing because I didn't yet know that the new season started an hour earlier than I had planned. But my only pause had been brief - just to throw together a salad - so I figured I was good to go as I settled down to finish my sweetwine.

Coming up next - beer! And lots of it! Plus dinner, eventually...and one hell of a panic moment when I found out that I only had until 9 PM to finish my marathon!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment