Sunday, April 8, 2012

Game of Thrones Marathon, Part 3

Disclaimer: All recipes contained herein are adapted from Inn at the Crossroads

Yeah, I was shocked when somehow I was able to finish the ten episodes of season one of Game of Thrones in about nine and a half hours. Granted I only stopped twice for maybe 5 minutes and 15 minutes, respectively...but still. It shouldn't have happened. And I was really worried it wouldn't. But anyway.

Last but not least, I had a very, very special beer to enjoy - while whipping up my "Medieval Apple Fritters", while watching the season two premiere, and for quite some time after (which led to a way too late bedtime, my barely getting out of bed for work on Monday, and suffering through work with, well, a hangover...but that's not a story you really need to here, methinks).


Yes, my dears, that beer is called Son of a Peach and is in fact a peach wheat beer brewed at a local brewery. It's one of my favorite beers ever, period, but seriously, what better beer to drink for the premier of the Game of Thrones series that is mostly based on Clash of Kings? Although from the promos and pictures I've seen, it looks like Renly may not eat his peach...but dammit, he should. He should.

“'All this of snakes and incest is droll, but it changes nothing. You may well have the better claim, Stannis, but I still have the larger army.' Renly’s hand slid inside his cloak. Stannis saw, and reached at once for the hilt of his sword, but before he could draw steel his brother produced... a peach. 'Would you like one, brother?' Renly asked, smiling. 'From Highgarden. You’ve never tasted anything so sweet, I promise you.' He took a bite. Juice ran from the corner of his mouth." (Clash of Kings) 

Now, onto dessert! Or well...sort-of dessert.

 
"For the sweet, Lord Caswell’s servants brought down trays of pastries from his castle kitchens, cream swans and spun-sugar unicorns, lemon cakes in the shape of roses, spiced honey biscuits and blackberry tarts, apple crisps and wheels of buttery cheese." (Clash of Kings)

MEDIEVAL APPLE FRITTERS
(closest thing to "apple crisps" from Inn at the Crossroads)
1 1/4 cup ale/beer (I used Son of a Peach, of course! I think a nice fruity, sweet wheat beer of any kind would be perfect for this recipe, i.e. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, which you can get most places)
1 TBS dry yeast
1 cup flour
3-4 apples (I used cameos)
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
vegetable oil for frying
sugar for sprinkling

- Heat the beer to lukewarm. Separate 1/4 cup of it and stir the yeast into it; let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, egg, and remaining beer. Once your yeast beer has sat for 10 minutes, add it to the rest of the ingredients and beat until well mixed.
- Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for at least an hour (I put mine in the oven and heated it to the lowest temperature possible, which was 170 degrees. Once the oven was heated I turned it off, but left it closed so that it would stay warm.)
- Peel and core the apples and cut into very thin wedges. When the batter has sat for at leats an hour, stir the apple slices into it.
- Heat a thin layer of oil over medium and when it is hot, use a ladle to measure a large dollop of batter and apple slices into the hot oil. Cook for about 2.5 to 3 minutes per side (keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get darker than a nice rich brown like in the picture above) and set aside on a paper-towel lined plate while you cook the rest of the fritters.
- Sprinkle generously with sugar before serving :)

Now, these were good, and as you can see I munched on some more of that cheddar cheese with them as well. But they aren't super sweet, so if you're into that I suggest finding a more modern apple fritter recipe that uses raisins as well as apples and rum instead of beer, plus has sugar in the batter.

And that's that! As you could hopefully tell from the video I made just after watching the premiere, I really did enjoy my lazy marathon day, my food, and especially my beer ;)

I smell an all-day-Saturday season two marathon coming on once the season concludes. Thank you, HBO On Demand!

P.S. Dear Peter Dinklage, stop making me want to like Tyrion again. Just. Stop.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment