Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Writer's Block Wednesday: By 30

Today on Facebook, someone shared a link to an article that is now about 15 years old...and yet somehow still applies. This article was originally published in Glamour magazine (surprisingly. I'm not usually one to put stock in anything that comes from Glamour or Cosmo or anything else of that ilk) and was entitled, "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the time she's 30". 

As I'm trying to keep up with my "writer's block Wednesdays", I figured that a few posts centered around this list would be a bit of fun :) Not to mention the fact that I turn 30 later this year and darnit, I want to make sure I've set myself up for a great "next 30 years"! To keep them manageable, I'm going to post 5 "things" from this list at a time. So without further ado...

By 30, you should have ...

 1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.

 I'm...honestly not sure that I agree with this. Possibly because I'm in a wonderful relationship and have no desire to think about past boyfriends and whether or not I'd go back to them. I suppose *E* is the only one who would sort of fit this "requirement", though I have changed so much since I loved him that I'm not sure we would work. Still, he's the most likely choice, I suppose, if this means that you should have one relationship that didn't necessarily end badly and led to dislike or outright hatred but rather ended because it ended and led to friendship.

*E* and I on a camping trip in the summer of 2009, over 9 years after we dated. Still buds :)
As for that ex who reminds me how far I've come, well...if you know me, you know who that is. If you're new to this blog...just check out the Ex tag ;)

2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.

Hey, this one I'm good on! I actually had my first decent piece of furniture at 20. Nowadays I would say that at least 70% of the furniture in our house has never been owned by anyone but us. My favorite is probably my dining room set. Which you know...never gets used, because we're not the formal entertaining type, but it's still beautiful.

Don't mind the Mardi Gras mask on the table, we had a theme party the same day I took this picture :)
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.

Phew, I'm good with this as well! I have a pretty, not-stuffy business suit that I love and that fits me well for the former, and for the latter, well...I'm not the most fashionable/fanciest person but I have plenty of nice, flattering outfits to choose from.

4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.

Okay...my suitcase is getting a BIT on the worn side, but hey, it's only one corner...

Umbrella, well, I'm always good with those because I'm always carrying one, which means I have to replace it every year or so. At least.

Purse...now...there's a problem. In general I just have too many purses, period! I never know which one to carry. A good problem to have, I suppose, though very few of them are really nice designer purses ;)


^^^ One of my favorite purses. It's just a little clutch and I bought it for $10 in the Old City Market in Charleston, but it's just perfect :)
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.

Oh gosh yes. Honestly I have *no* desire to be a teenager again, or 21 again, or even in college again. No desire at all. Did I have some amazing times back then? Sure I did! But despite all of the responsibility that I have now, scarily enough...I enjoy being an adult. I had to make a lot of mistakes - and learn from them - to get to this point, but I don't feel bad saying loud and proud, "I would take my 45[+] hour work week and my couple weeks of vacation a year and my mortgage payment and my bills and my solid relationship over classes and months off every year and being broke and that 'excitement' of a new crush any. damn. day."

Case and point, last year I had my 10 year reunion for my first Walt Disney World College Program. So many of us who were in Orlando for the CP in 2001 were babies. We partied too hard and went to work hungover (if we worked at all, though I wasn't one of those culprits at least). I met some lifetime friends, some fair-weather friends, and my future Ex.

CP party crew, December 2001
Last year when I went to the reunion(s) that were planned, I had a blast, don't get me wrong. It was nice pretending that we were back on the CP again...for a couple of days. I'm extremely glad that I went, that I got back in touch with more of my CP friends because of it. But I was far more happy to come home when the weekend was over, to my beautiful house and my understanding relationship and my cozy pets.


You see, I appreciate my past, even the parts I regret.

But I don't live in it.

Stay tuned for more "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know", coming to a blog near you (this one, duh) next Wednesday!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment