Have you been more demanding on yourself lately? Or less? Why?
And do you think it's a good trend?
My answer to this question is yes and no.
I've been more demanding on myself in regards to taking on way too much, and expecting myself to keep up with all of it...
...but I've been less demanding on myself in regards to actually taking the time to make sure that the things I'm producing have some actual quality to them. With my day job, with things at home (cooking, cleaning, etc.), with my writing (both blogging and actual writing), etc. etc.
The problem is, I've had to shove some things (such as finishing the typing of my grandfather's memoir and learning to actually use the sewing machine that my mother gave me) off to the side. And truth be told...I've not necessarily been doing so in favor of more important things.
Obviously I realize that this is not a good way to go about things. Right now I'm really trying to focus on cutting back and re-organizing my life. For example:
- I bought a pattern for a dress that I need to have made by the end of August and my mom is taking me to a fabric store this weekend.
- I'm seriously considering just getting rid of my Greenville website, both because of the amount of money it costs and because I simply don't have enough CSS knowledge to make it what it needs to be. If I do get rid of it, I may make my travel blog a sort of combo. If I don't get rid of the URL, I'll ship my Greenville blog over there and just keep updating it as is rather than trying to deal with Dreamweaver and CSS.
- I've given myself writing goals in regards to my original fiction. I already broke one this past weekend - oops - but it was for good reason! Basically I told myself that I would finish part 1 of what I'm working on before Monday, and that didn't happen...but it didn't happen because I had to add more chapters, which is a good thing! Technically when I made that goal I thought I only needed to finish 2 more chapters, but I got to that point and realized there was more to write, so at the moment those 2 chapters have become at least 5 and at the moment I'm about halfway through the 5 :)
- I'm limiting my time online. Majorly. Not so much blogger because I wasn't spending that much time on here anyway :-/ But on social networking sites, my personal online journal, etc. I've slipped up a few times but in general I'm doing well with this...surprisingly!
- I've decided to get my guitar callouses back. That sounds worse than I mean it to, but it needs to happen. It had been so long since I played that when I picked up Clara (that's my guitar) last night I was only able to practice for about 30 minutes before my fingertips hurt so badly I had no choice but to stop.
Because otherwise, everything I do is going to be done half-assed, and I'm going to continue to be stressed and bothered.
And who wants that?