Friday, May 11, 2012

Family History Friday: Learning About an Ancestor

I've known for many many years that I'm descended from Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island - but it was only in typing up my grandfather's memoirs and then utilizing my ancestry.com subscription that I finally decided to figure out exactly HOW I am descended from him. That full story will have to come another time, but for now I wanted to express my excitement about a book that I found at Costco - especially as this book discovery came right on the heels of all this other family history stuff :) I started reading it about a week ago and I'm loving it! Honestly I think anyone with an interest in early American history, especially those from New England, would enjoy it as well.

A full book review will come later (possibly around the same time as that whole story of how I'm descended from Roger Williams) but for now, I can at least say I'm excited to continue building my knowledge of this ancestor!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. That's really cool and odd timing that you post this. My parents love finding ancestors. I consider theirs to be mine even though I'm not their blood, I am their family.

    My dad has found some rather fascinating and sometimes surprising information about our families. He's been telling me almost every night at least one story about a family member. He was a history major/teacher before principal so he likes the stories, not really the familial connection. I find it interesting but I'm too fascinated and sometimes I get bored even though the people are really interesting. I am related to John Adams the President on my mom's side and my dad's side has an enormous amount of family who founded cities and were here in the 17th century.

    Anyway, have fun learning and exploring! :)

    ReplyDelete